Quantitative Titration - NaOH and HCl

In summary, the molarity of the HCl is 0.15M. Calculating the molar mass of the unknown salt would require knowing the concentration of the acid dissolved in the water. If you want to calculate the molar mass of the unknown salt, you would need to use the concentration of the acid dissolved in the water as the conentration to solve.
fishfish

Homework Statement

Hi, So I have this lab in which we had to titrate HCl with NaOH (of an unknown molarity)

Scan0004.jpg

Scan0005.jpg

So here's the lab.. I decided to scan it because I'm not a good explainer at all, heh.
The molarity of the HCl is 0.15M by the way

What I was wondering is how to calculate #2 under calculations and results... For our titration of the HCl, we had gotten 15.8mL (average) of NaOH used. For calculations, however, I used the concentration of the diluted acid (0.06M for the 25mL of water and HCl combined.. which I don't know whether it's right or not) to calculate that the molarity of the NaOH is 0.095M

Homework Equations

CaVa=CbVb

And would we have to use Kw = [H+][OH-] in any way here?

The Attempt at a Solution

CaVa=CbVb
(0.06M)(0.025L) = (Mb)(0.0158)L)
Mb=0.095M

Physics news on Phys.org
For question 2 it refers to the chemical equation which is:
HCl + NaOH -> NaCL + H2O

In which case the moles of base used per mole of acid is 1. It is a 1:1 ration, and your titration shows this.
M(base) = n/V(L)
.095(.0158) = n
n = .0015
and
M(acid) = n/V(L)
.06(.025) = n
n= .0015

a 1:1 mole ratio

fishfish said:
however, I used the concentration of the diluted acid (0.06M for the 25mL of water and HCl combined.. which I don't know whether it's right or not)

You don't know exact volume (about+about is not exactly 25) so you can't calculate exact concentration of HCl. However, it is all about number of moles of acid - did it changed after dilution?

You may consult www.titrations.info - a lot of information about titrations, acid/base ones included.

nickdk said:
For question 2 it refers to the chemical equation which is:
HCl + NaOH -> NaCL + H2O

In which case the moles of base used per mole of acid is 1. It is a 1:1 ration, and your titration shows this.
M(base) = n/V(L)
.095(.0158) = n
n = .0015
and
M(acid) = n/V(L)
.06(.025) = n
n= .0015

a 1:1 mole ratio

Oh really? Haha, I thought it was asking for something more difficult! Thank you :biggrin:

Borek said:
You don't know exact volume (about+about is not exactly 25) so you can't calculate exact concentration of HCl. However, it is all about number of moles of acid - did it changed after dilution?

You may consult www.titrations.info - a lot of information about titrations, acid/base ones included.

Wait, since it's not accurate enough, then I assume that I can't follow through with Nickdk's solution then?

What he calculated using numbers you gave is acidentally correct, but it is not how it should be done.

You should calculate number of moles of the acid introduced to the solution - that means precisely measured 10 mL of 0.15M solution, or 1.5 mmole.

Now, after solution was diluted to ABOUT 25 mL, its concentration went down to ABOUT 0.06M. However, new concentration is calculated assuming number of moles of acid have not changed - and you need this number of moles to calculate number of moles of base that reacted. And you have already calculated that it was 1.5 mmole.

If so, do you need to calculate new concentration after dilution? You divide number of moles by approximate volume and then you multiply it again by the same approximate value - so approximate volume cancels out and fact that it was an approximate value doesn't matter any longer, question is - was this operation necessary?

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
What he calculated using numbers you gave is acidentally correct, but it is not how it should be done.

You should calculate number of moles of the acid introduced to the solution - that means precisely measured 10 mL of 0.15M solution, or 1.5 mmole.

Now, after solution was diluted to ABOUT 25 mL, its concentration went down to ABOUT 0.06M. However, new concentration is calculated assuming number of moles of acid have not changed - and you need this number of moles to calculate number of moles of base that reacted. And you have already calculated that it was 1.5 mmole.

If so, do you need to calculate new concentration after dilution? You divide number of moles by approximate volume and then you multiply it again by the same approximate value - so approximate volume cancels out and fact that it was an approximate value doesn't matter any longer, question is - was this operation necessary?

--
buffer calculator, concentration calculator
pH calculator, stoichiometry calculator

Hi, I'm back again, sorry to be such a bother.. But I was wondering if it were possible to find the molar mass of the unknown salt (as our teacher instructed us to do) just from the given information. Since there's no concentration of the solid, how would it be possible to find the molar mass of it? Would I have to use the concentration of the acid dissolved in the water as the conentration to solve? And if I were to use the concentration of that solution, how would I go about doing that? Any help on this will be appreciated :biggrin:

Not sure what you are asking about (no idea what your insctructor told you and what information you can use), but usually these things are done using known mass of the solid acid and determining number of moles of the acid by titration - if you know mass of the sample and number of moles, finding molar mass is a breeze.

Borek said:
Not sure what you are asking about (no idea what your insctructor told you and what information you can use), but usually these things are done using known mass of the solid acid and determining number of moles of the acid by titration - if you know mass of the sample and number of moles, finding molar mass is a breeze.

--
buffer calculator, concentration calculator
pH calculator, stoichiometry calculator

Well, this is what I have so far :

mass of acid = 0.7g
average volume used for titration= 0.0295L

nNaOH= cv
=(0.095M)(0.0295L) [ the 0.095M is calculated by the way]
=2.8x10-3 mol of base reacting with 0.7g of acid

After this.. I used a ratio to solve for the mass of acid that would react with 1 mol of base ( as #6 called for)

which is about 250g of acid / 1 mol of NaOH

So, after a bit of research, I'm assuming I do no. moles = mass / molar mass..

but the thing is, I don't have the number of moles of acid that I need for the equation..Well that is unless I use the number of moles that reacted with the 0.7 g of acid, then do...

2.8x10-3 mol = 0.7g / Molar mass
Molar mass = 250g/mol

However, this seems a bit too high to belong to any of the strong acids... unless it isn't a strong acid maybe?

fishfish said:
However, this seems a bit too high to belong to any of the strong acids... unless it isn't a strong acid maybe?

It can be some other acid as well. And 250 is a correct result (that is, assuming numbers you have listed are correct).

Just note that this is not a molar mass, but so called equivalent mass - you don't know if this is mono- or multiprotic acid.

1. What is the purpose of a quantitative titration?

Quantitative titration is a technique used to determine the concentration of an unknown solution by reacting it with a known solution. It is commonly used in chemistry to accurately measure the amount of a substance in a solution.

2. How does a quantitative titration work?

In a quantitative titration, a known solution of a reagent, called the titrant, is added to the unknown solution until the reaction reaches its endpoint. The endpoint is determined using an indicator or by monitoring a change in a specific property of the solution, such as pH. The amount of titrant used to reach the endpoint is used to calculate the concentration of the unknown solution.

3. What is the relationship between NaOH and HCl in a quantitative titration?

In a titration between NaOH and HCl, the NaOH solution is the titrant and the HCl solution is the unknown solution. The reaction between these two solutions is a neutralization reaction, where the acid (HCl) and base (NaOH) react to form salt and water. The amount of NaOH used to neutralize the HCl is used to calculate the concentration of the HCl solution.

4. What is the importance of accuracy in a quantitative titration?

Accuracy is crucial in quantitative titrations because small errors in measurement or technique can greatly affect the results. This could lead to incorrect conclusions or inaccurate calculations of the concentration of the unknown solution. Therefore, it is important to follow proper techniques and use precise measurements to ensure accurate results.

5. What are some sources of error in a quantitative titration?

Some sources of error in quantitative titrations include human error in measurement or technique, errors in equipment calibration, and the presence of impurities or other substances in the solutions. It is important to identify and minimize these sources of error to obtain accurate results.