Stress Intensity Factor for Elliptical Cracks

In summary, the diagram shows that the two expressions for stress intensity factor are for different locations on the root, and they are of the same order.
pbeary
Hi, I just wanted some clarification with respect to a few equations relating stress intensity factor to semi-elliptical and quarter-elliptical cracks in solids.

The equations I have according to my notes are [itex]K_{I_{(\varphi=\frac{\pi}{2})}}=1.12\frac{\sigma \sqrt{\pi a}}{\Phi}[/itex] and [itex]K_{I_{(\varphi=0)}}=1.12\frac{\sigma \sqrt{\pi \frac{a^{2}}{c}}}{\Phi}[/itex]

The problem is, from a diagram I have, it seems the first one is the quarter-elliptical (corner) crack and the latter is the edge. Is this correct? I am confused as it states the semi-elliptical crack first then the corner crack, though you would expect the explanations to be in the same order...

Here is the diagram btw.
[PLAIN]http://users.tpg.com.au/pbear88/files/123.png

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
pbeary said:
Hi, I just wanted some clarification with respect to a few equations relating stress intensity factor to semi-elliptical and quarter-elliptical cracks in solids.

. . . .

The problem is, from a diagram I have, it seems the first one is the quarter-elliptical (corner) crack and the latter is the edge. Is this correct? I am confused as it states the semi-elliptical crack first then the corner crack, though you would expect the explanations to be in the same order...

Here is the diagram btw.
. . . .
Thanks in advance!
The diagram is of a semi-elliptical crack. The two expressions are for different locations on the root, and they are of the same order (assuming I'm understanding your comment/question).

a is the same order as a2/c

Astronuc said:
The diagram is of a semi-elliptical crack. The two expressions are for different locations on the root, and they are of the same order (assuming I'm understanding your comment/question).

a is the same order as a2/c

Hi, thanks for the reply, cleared everything right up for me.

Guess this can be closed now.

What is the definition of Stress Intensity Factor for Elliptical Cracks?

The Stress Intensity Factor for Elliptical Cracks is a measure of the severity of stress concentrations at the tip of an elliptical crack in a material. It takes into account the size, shape, and orientation of the crack, as well as the applied stress.

How is Stress Intensity Factor for Elliptical Cracks calculated?

Stress Intensity Factor for Elliptical Cracks can be calculated using various analytical and numerical methods, such as the Westergaard stress function, the Williams solution, and the finite element method. These methods involve solving equations that take into account the geometry of the crack and the applied stress.

What are the factors that affect Stress Intensity Factor for Elliptical Cracks?

The most significant factors that affect Stress Intensity Factor for Elliptical Cracks are the crack size, shape, and orientation, as well as the applied stress. Other factors that can influence the stress intensity factor include material properties, temperature, and loading conditions.

Why is Stress Intensity Factor for Elliptical Cracks important?

Stress Intensity Factor for Elliptical Cracks is important because it is a critical parameter in fracture mechanics. It helps predict the growth and propagation of cracks and can be used to determine if a crack will cause failure in a material. It is also essential in the design and maintenance of structures to ensure their safety and reliability.

How is Stress Intensity Factor for Elliptical Cracks used in practical applications?

Stress Intensity Factor for Elliptical Cracks is used in various practical applications, such as the design of aircraft structures, pipelines, and pressure vessels. It is also used in non-destructive testing techniques to detect and assess the severity of cracks in materials. In addition, it is used in research and development of materials to improve their resistance to cracking under stress.