Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
turbo said:
Her Forester has full-time AWD, traction control, stability control, etc, like my Ridgeline. The difference is that we bought a set of fully studded soft-compound snow tires, so her vehicle us preferable to mine in ice.
I think her Forester would be a blast on a frozen lake. I love the drifting... it looks like so much fun...

Rhody...

P.S. If you think that is fun, how about this ? A BMW 1000RR with monster hand applied cleats, that is just sick...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yay! She just pulled in safely after 2 hours for what is normally a 1/2 hour trip.

Even though it's warmer than normal here, I have been ice skating on outdoor rinks with my daughter a couple of times in the last few days.

George Jones said:
Even though it's warmer than normal here, I have been ice skating on outdoor rinks with my daughter a couple of times in the last few days.
That's so nice! We couldn't afford skates when I was a kid, so I got hand-me-downs that older kids from more affluent families that had outgrown their skates. Hockey skates, figure skates (one time, even white figure skates!) Generally, we could skate starting around Thanksgiving, then spend afternoons after school shoveling off local bogs and ponds so that we had "rinks" for Christmas vacation.

Just got electricity back! Don't know for how long, since it's been out for ~3 hours. Ice storms up here can be a bear.

We finally have some snow - not even enough to cover the grass completely yet. Tuesday was the first day this year with temperature below freezing for the whole day.

Over 42°C yesterday (hottest day of the year) in Córdoba Argentina. I still managed to do 2 hours of gym (with a few fans) and 30 minutes of jogging with a friend outside.
Now it's only around 30°C. :biggrin: But I prefer heavy cold temperatures (from -20°C and less).

fluidistic said:
I still managed to do 2 hours of gym (with a few fans)

I don't have fans wanting to watch my workout, I guess I am not that attractive.

Borek said:
I don't have fans wanting to watch my workout, I guess I am not that attractive.

lol! I always had the doubt if you were Pudzianowsky, I guess that cleared it. :wink:

turbo said:
Yay! She just pulled in safely after 2 hours for what is normally a 1/2 hour trip.

turbo said:
Just got electricity back! Don't know for how long, since it's been out for ~3 hours. Ice storms up here can be a bear.
Glad you wife made it safe, and you got your power back, You have an emergency generator, just in case, right ? It was so warm here today, I took the beast out for 20 minutes, what a nice feeling, that's all I needed to make my not so good day.

Rhody... :devil: :biggrin:

Yep, I have a Honda-powered generator. It was too icy and dangerous for me to move it to the detached garage, and raining too hard for me to run it outside.

Well, we got a few flakes for about 5 minutes and they melted as soon as they hit. So much for the 5 hours of snow they had predicted an hour ago, now they changed the forecast to nothing.

A December without snow means that in January we will get hit with the ice storm of the century. Never fails. :frown:

turbo said:
Yep, I have a Honda-powered generator. It was too icy and dangerous for me to move it to the detached garage, and raining too hard for me to run it outside.
Ah.. so it is one of those, after the nasty weather has let up, then we break it out kind of things.

Rhody...

Math Is Hard said:
We're having crazy high winds again in southern California.
Hope we don't lose power.
Some things we can do without, and a reliable connection to PF is not one of them.

Rhody... :biggrin:

It looks like we're going to have a white Christmas after all. Got a couple inches of snow this morning, with more on the way unless the next storm changes its track.

It's going to be a white Christmas. Temperature right now is 7 deg and falling, so the existing snow is going to last.

No traces of snow. And +5°C.

Borek said:
No traces of snow. And +5°C.

+4C here. It rained overnight, but the ground is still completely covered by snow.

It was -1°C this morning, but now outside has warmed up to ~3°C in the back of the house, and maybe ~5°C in the sun out front.

Astronuc said:
It was -1°C this morning, but now outside has warmed up to ~3°C in the back of the house, and maybe ~5°C in the sun out front.
We don't have C temps in the US, talk in fahrenheit man!

Likes gracy
We just got up to 20F, with snow.

Not christmasy here at all.

Still plenty of snow coming down. The breeze is out of the East, so it could be bigger than predicted. BUT, the temps are coming down a bit, so the Arctic high might push this one off-shore.

"""We don't have C temps in the US, talk in fahrenheit man!""

when i was in Canada where the radio speaks C i learned to convert in my head--
i can't multiply by 1.8 in my head sodouble the C temperature
subtract 10%
add 32

if you're rigorous with the sign it even works below freezing.

eg -40C
doubled is -80,
subtract 10% : negative 80 -(-8) = -72
add 32 : -72 + 32 = -40 which is correct.

old jim

jim hardy said:
"""We don't have C temps in the US, talk in fahrenheit man!""

i can't multiply by 1.8 in my head sodouble the C temperature
subtract 10%
add 32

if you're rigorous with the sign it even works below freezing.

eg -40C
doubled is -80,
subtract 10% : negative 80 -(-8) = -72
add 32 : -72 + 32 = -40 which is correct.

old jim
After a few years working with the ends-and-outs of Pharmaceutical walk-in environmental chambers (for studies with typical set-points of 25°C/60%RH and 40°C/75%RH), it doesn't take long to realize 25°C is room temp and 40°C is hotter than hell. :biggrin:

Back to 20 deg F here and dropping. It sucks, but there you go.

Last edited:
jim hardy said:

My head mostly works good as a hat rack... lol

So, I usually have to use this...

http://rlhudson.com/Unit%20Converter/index.htm

Yeah, I know... there's a lot of them, but I like the company.

Not bad here... 26°F, on Monday, December 26 at 12:10 AM, MST.

OCR

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
it doesn't take long to realize 25°C is room temp and 40°C is hotter than hell. :biggrin:

That's weird; room temperature to me is 29°. That's where I keep my thermostat year-round. (Now that I'm rid of the the menopausal wife who wouldn't abide it above 18°. :eek:) Alternatively, though, I can easily stroll outside in jeans and a T-shirt when it's -20 with no discomfort. We Canuks are hard to diagnose, and me perhaps more than most.

Evo said:
Anyone not getting snow?
It's the morning after Christmas. It will probably be about 70 degrees Fahrenheit soon. The days are mostly sunny and pleasant here in the winter (southeast Florida), and the nights are pleasantly cool. Winter in southeast Florida is like spring and/or summer in most of the rest of the US. This is tennis season here. It's almost toooooo hot in the summer for normal people to play.

Anyone in the path of tonight's snowstorm? We're only due for 1-2 inches, but it looks like Chicago is calling for 5-8 inches.

The wind is crazy right now, it's creating a roaring noise outside, I'm sure we're going to have downed branches.

Evo said:
Anyone in the path of tonight's snowstorm? We're only due for 1-2 inches, but it looks like Chicago is calling for 5-8 inches.

Snow? What's that? Is it that white stuff that covers the ground for about 2-3 days per year here? I think we made a snowman once, but it took all of the snow in our front yard...

Got 4-6" forecast here, but results may vary WIDELY. Maine is a terrible place to be a weatherman. Between the Gulf of Maine and Canadian (arctic) highs, we can get whipsawed.

It's snowing, but it's that nasty teeny grainy stuff.

Still no snow here, still temperatures above freezing. Pretty unusual winter.