Escape of light perfectly orthogonal to black hole

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether light can escape from inside the event horizon of a black hole when emitted in a direction orthogonal to the black hole's gravitational force. It is explained that due to the nature of the event horizon and the fact that all null geodesics lead inward, any photon emitted from inside the black hole is doomed to fall inward. The concept is further clarified using an analogy of a moving walkway. The conversation concludes with the understanding that light does move at the speed of light even at the horizon, but the horizon itself is not a physical reference frame.
gatz
I have a fairly decent understanding of black holes, but have always had one curiosity that I haven't found a distinct answer to:

If light, through whatever reaction, is emitted inside the event horizon of a black hole such that it is directed in a path exactly orthogonal to the black hole, i.e., 180 degrees relative to the direction of the gravitational force, is it able to escape since the photon must travel at c?

The reason I specify its direction is because I understand that if there is even the slightest angle, the fact that the escape velocity is greater than c would cause it to spiral back into the singularity.

Obviously the photon cannot escape (or can it?), I am simply looking for the explanation. The only theory I have been able to formulate that would dictate the photon to return is that at the singularity, spacetime is distorted to such a point that any direction pointing away from the singularity loops back inward.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem kis that there is no "direction of the gravitational field" in GR; there is only a set of geodesics through a certain point. In additioon the event horizion itself is a light-like surface.

For a point inside the black hole, all null geodesics lead inward and strike the singularity. Any photon emitted from such a point is doomed, regardless of the direction it may be headed.

For a point on the event horizon, the 'outward going' photon will remain stationary on the horizon, others will fall inward.

Bill_K said:
For a point on the event horizon, the 'outward going' photon will remain stationary on the horizon, others will fall inward.
The horizon itself can be understood as a light-like surface consistsing of all light rays neither escaping to infinity (region I = outside) nor hitting the singularity (region II = inside) i.e. separating region I from II

gatz said:
I have a fairly decent understanding of black holes, but have always had one curiosity that I haven't found a distinct answer to:

If light, through whatever reaction, is emitted inside the event horizon of a black hole such that it is directed in a path exactly orthogonal to the black hole, i.e., 180 degrees relative to the direction of the gravitational force, is it able to escape since the photon must travel at c?

The reason I specify its direction is because I understand that if there is even the slightest angle, the fact that the escape velocity is greater than c would cause it to spiral back into the singularity.

Obviously the photon cannot escape (or can it?), I am simply looking for the explanation. The only theory I have been able to formulate that would dictate the photon to return is that at the singularity, spacetime is distorted to such a point that any direction pointing away from the singularity loops back inward.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Here is an analogy that perhaps will make it clear:

Imagine a moving walkway that has a fixed velocity of x, then one can escape this walkway by going faster than x in the opposite direction.

Now imagine a very special moving walkway which does not have a fixed velocity but instead has a zero velocity at the starting point and a velocity that increases the farther out one goes. At the 'event horizon' of this walkway the velocity is c. Then for light at this point a velocity of c in the opposite direction will only make light stand still on this moving walkway.

Lookup "Lemaitre observers" to get the idea of a "vari-speed moving walkway" in mathematical terms.

Okay thank you all, I believe I understand now. My the flaw in my understanding was that I believed light HAD to move at c in any reference frame and therefore I thought it would be impossible for it to remain stationary on the horizon. Thank you again!

gatz said:
My the flaw in my understanding was that I believed light HAD to move at c in any reference frame and therefore I thought it would be impossible for it to remain stationary on the horizon.
No flaw!

Light does indeed move at c, even at the horizon. The horizon is no 'physical' reference frame, i.e. no physical observer can be at rest at the horizon. The whole horizon itself is moving at c w.r.t. to any physical observer. That means that a physical observer will always cross the horizon at c, regardless what he/she is doing (free fall, acceleration in a rocket, ...).

Oh I see! That is much easier to digest than questioning my understanding of reference frames haha.
Thank you so much

1. What is the "escape of light perfectly orthogonal to black hole" phenomenon?

The "escape of light perfectly orthogonal to black hole" refers to the path of light that is perpendicular to the event horizon of a black hole, allowing it to escape without being pulled in by the immense gravitational force of the black hole.

2. How does light escape from a black hole's event horizon?

Light can escape from a black hole's event horizon if it is traveling at the perfect angle, which is perpendicular to the event horizon. This angle is known as the "escape cone" and any light that enters it will be able to escape the black hole's gravitational pull.

3. Is the phenomenon of "escape of light perfectly orthogonal to black hole" a recent discovery?

No, this phenomenon was first theorized by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity in 1915. It has been studied and observed by scientists through various methods, including gravitational lensing and observing the motion of stars near black holes.

4. Can any other particles besides light escape from a black hole's event horizon?

No, only massless particles such as photons (light particles) can escape from a black hole's event horizon. Anything with mass, such as matter or even other particles like neutrinos, will be pulled in by the immense gravitational force of the black hole.

5. How does the "escape of light perfectly orthogonal to black hole" phenomenon affect our understanding of black holes?

This phenomenon is important in helping us understand the properties and behavior of black holes. It also provides evidence for the existence of black holes and supports the theory of general relativity. Furthermore, studying this phenomenon can give us insights into the dynamics of space and time near a black hole.