What are the strange absorption peaks on this solar spectrum?

• Thread starter BucketOfFish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectrum
In summary: The peaks for molecular oxygen should be at ~760nm and 761nm according to the data, but I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. I'll need to consult a physics textbook to be sure.
BucketOfFish
I was taking solar spectra yesterday for a Physics lab, and I found this strange phenomenon slightly to the left of the sun. I think it might be a solar prominence, but then again I know absolutely nothing about astronomy. What is it?

(The graph is intensity vs. wavelength)

http://www.imgur.com/FfZxd

EDIT: I can't get the image to show, but the link is http://imgur.com/FfZxd. The absorption peaks are at 760.15 nm and 761.18 nm.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
How far to the left are we talking about here? A few arcseconds?

here's the image for easy viewing :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=44253&stc=1&d=1329954922.png

Dave

Attachments

• FfZxd.png
    FfZxd.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 546
Never mind, it turns out it's probably just the cheap spectrometer giving faulty readings. No strange solar phenomena today.

BucketOfFish said:
Never mind, it turns out it's probably just the cheap spectrometer giving faulty readings. No strange solar phenomena today.

No worries! Keep up the experiments!

The features seen at ~690, 720 and 760nm are due to absorption of the sunlight by molecules (water, I think) in the Earth's atmosphere. They are otherwise known as telluric absorption features.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraunhofer_lines

If the spectrographic data is properly normalized and calibrated (obviously it is not), then those would be O2 lines. Now, do you think that molecular oxygen might exist in a G-type star? If not, where might molecular oxygen exist between your telescope and the sun?

Also, looking at the data, I am not convinced the wavelengths are accurate. You should be able to calculate what the peak energy output from the sun is from Wein's displacement law. If the wavelengths are off, then that might be H2O instead of O2. Now, where could H2O exist? In the sun's atmosphere? Probably not.

vociferous said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraunhofer_lines

Also, looking at the data, I am not convinced the wavelengths are accurate. You should be able to calculate what the peak energy output from the sun is from Wein's displacement law. If the wavelengths are off, then that might be H2O instead of O2. Now, where could H2O exist? In the sun's atmosphere? Probably not.

I am not sure if these questions are directed at me, but I'll answer anyway. The wavelength calibration looks okay to me. The Calcium H & K lines appear to be located at their expected positions (393.4 and 396.9nm), as do the Sodium D line (~589nm) and the hydrogen alpha (656.3nm), to name just a few.

Also, the telluric features are labelled in the solar spectrum shown on that wiki page.

matt.o said:
I am not sure if these questions are directed at me, but I'll answer anyway. The wavelength calibration looks okay to me. The Calcium H & K lines appear to be located at their expected positions (393.4 and 396.9nm), as do the Sodium D line (~589nm) and the hydrogen alpha (656.3nm), to name just a few.

Also, the telluric features are labelled in the solar spectrum shown on that wiki page.

It was directed at the OP, but I just looked at some spectra of various objects I took last year and I guess I was misremembering the O2 lines being weaker than the H2O lines (except for Saturn, where H2O was almost as strong as O2, which may be partially due to extraterrestrial O2 combining with atmospheric O2).

1. What is a spectrum?

A spectrum is a visual representation of the different wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation emitted or absorbed by a substance. It is commonly seen as a graph with peaks and valleys of different intensities, representing the different light frequencies.

2. How is a spectrum taken?

A spectrum is typically taken using a spectrometer, a device that measures the intensity of light at different wavelengths. The substance being analyzed is exposed to a source of light and the spectrometer measures the amount of light absorbed or emitted by the substance at different wavelengths.

3. What can a spectrum tell us?

A spectrum can provide information about the chemical composition and structure of a substance. Different substances have unique spectral patterns, allowing scientists to identify and analyze unknown substances.

4. What are the different types of spectra?

There are several types of spectra, including absorption spectra, emission spectra, and continuous spectra. Absorption spectra show the wavelengths of light absorbed by a substance, emission spectra show the wavelengths of light emitted by a substance, and continuous spectra show a continuous range of wavelengths without any distinct peaks or valleys.

5. How is a spectrum used in scientific research?

Spectra are used in many areas of scientific research, including astronomy, chemistry, and physics. They are used to identify and analyze substances, determine the chemical composition of stars and planets, and study the behavior of atoms and molecules. Spectra also play an important role in developing new technologies and improving existing ones.