Interpreting the Laplace

by dijkarte
Tags: interpreting, laplace
dijkarte
Mar15-12, 06:02 PM
P: 200
Thought it's pretty related to this forum. I'm familiar with applications of both Laplace and Fourier in physics and differential equations. However I still struggling trying to figure out the intuitive interpretation of both transforms or at least a mathematical illustration that shows their nature. We apply Laplace to a function but what do we get relative to the function? All the texts I have been reading state formulas and with a minimal proof/deduction if any. And the only interpretation they have is it transforms from one domain to another. Any good detailed reading that explains why and what exactly these transforms do?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
dijkarte
Mar20-12, 05:31 PM
P: 200
As I'm doing some reading about the derivation of Fourier series in complex form, how the following sums up??? Sorry that I lack the common sense of an average math student, but I insist to learn :)

sum(1, inf){ c[n]*exp(inwt) + c[-n]*exp(-inwt) } = sum(-inf, inf){ c[n]*exp(inwt) } ??????

No single book shows the derivation.
micromass
Mar20-12, 09:56 PM
Mentor
P: 16,703
Read this thread: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=461628

Register to reply