Orbits and subshells confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the terminology of electrons and their location within an atom. The up and down arrows represent the angular spin of the electrons, while the boxes represent subshells within principal energy levels. The shielding effect is the diminished attraction of outer electrons to the positively-charged nucleus, due to the presence of inner shell electrons. The terms "shell" and "orbital" are ambiguous and can mean different things, but shells refer to the principal energy levels and orbitals refer to the regions of space where electrons are located. Subshells can be considered larger orbitals, with s, p, d, f, g, and h representing different subshells.
member 392791
I was reading my textbook and was confused on the terminology, is an orbit each of those boxes that you fill up with the up and down arrow, and the subshell is like s, p, d, f, g, h?

I was also confused about what the shielding effect is.

If anyone can enlighten me that would be great, thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The up and down arrows denote the electrons themselves. The arrows represent the angular spin of the individual electrons. The boxes are representations of the subshells within the particular 'shell' or principal energy level. Sometimes the principal energy levels are drawn as circular 'orbits' but the electrons don't really orbit the nucleus. They reside in regions of space that trace out various shapes like spheres, dumbells and so forth.

Electrons in the outermost 'shells', being negatively charged, have a columbic attraction to the positively-charged nucleus. The magnitude of that attraction is governed by the number of protons present in the nucleus (obviously!) and the effectiveness of the lower lying electrons in their 'shells' to screen that positive charge. After all, the negatively charged outer electrons are both attracted to the positively-charged nucleus and repelled by the negatively-charged inner shell electrons. The net effect is that the outermost electrons still are attracted to the positively-charged nucleus but the magnitude of that attraction, or Zeff[/s], is diminished somewhat. It's called the shielding effect.

Ok so a shell is s, p, d, f, g, h? And a subshell is each one of the boxes. Meaning, the P shell contains 3 boxes or subshells? And the orbit is another name for shell?

Woopydalan said:
Ok so a shell is s, p, d, f, g, h?
No.
And a subshell is each one of the boxes. Meaning, the P shell contains 3 boxes or subshells?
Yes.
And the orbit is another name for shell?
Try this.

Ok wow so I have thought this whole time that the electrons travel in circles around the energy levels haha.

Ok so my understanding of that article then is that the s,p,d,g,f are actually orbitals? Then 1s,2s,2p, etc are shells?

Orbital is ambiguous - for example it can mean both 2p or any of 2px, 2py or 2pz.

Shell is something larger.

ok so 2p is an orbital, the box is a subshell, then what is a shell??

Why did the other guy say the box is a subshell and now you say its not a subshell. No wonder I'm so confused, you chemists can't make up your mind!

Ok so the wikipedia article says K, M, etc are shells (which are associated with l), and the subshells are s,p,d,g,h,f. Then what are the orbitals? Are those the boxes with the up and down arrows?

English is my second language and I am not 100% sure about the exact meaning of a subshell. As I wrote before - orbital is ambiguous and can mean two things. Perhaps subshell is just a synonym of orbital (so it can be both a single box, or collection of boxes), but I was always under impression that subshell is a "large" orbital, so it can mean 2p, but not 2px.

ok my book makes it sound like s,p,d,g,f,h are subshells, which jives with what you were saying. Orbital you said was ambiguous, now what is a Shell (NOT SUBSHELL!)? Or a shell is n=1, n=2, etc?

Woopydalan said:
Or a shell is n=1, n=2, etc?

Yes.

alright thanks! It only took me 11 posts and 2 professional chemists and a lot of headache to figure out that little concept :P

1. What is the difference between an orbit and a subshell?

Orbits refer to the paths that electrons follow around the nucleus of an atom, while subshells are specific regions within an atom where electrons are most likely to be found.

2. How many subshells are there in an atom?

There are four subshells in an atom - s, p, d, and f. Each subshell can hold a specific number of electrons.

3. Can an electron jump from one subshell to another?

Yes, an electron can jump from one subshell to another, but it requires a specific amount of energy for this transition to occur.

4. What is the maximum number of electrons that can occupy a subshell?

The maximum number of electrons that can occupy a subshell depends on the subshell itself. For example, the s subshell can hold a maximum of 2 electrons, while the p subshell can hold a maximum of 6 electrons.

5. How do subshells and orbitals relate to each other?

Subshells are made up of one or more orbitals, which are specific regions within a subshell where electrons are most likely to be found. Each orbital can hold a maximum of 2 electrons.