Building a more powerful electromagnet

In summary, the key factor in creating powerful electromagnets is the number of ampere-turns. This can be increased by increasing current, turns, or both. It is important to consider the weight and power source of the magnet, as well as whether it will operate at a steady state or in surges. The design of the magnet should take into account the desired current and the resistance of the coil.
Rozy94
Hey so I'm trying to build a few poweful electromagnets and I need some help because i don't really know much about the topic. What gives an electromagnet more power? Number of wire turns? Multiple layers of wire turns? Is it amps or volts that gives them their drive? Also what's the best gauge of wire? I'm using 22 AWG enameled magnet wire right now on a two inch diameter iron rod. I'm thinking of moving up to 20 or 18 gauge wire but I'm not sure if that would be better. Any help you can give me would be great! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The key factor is ampere-turns, so if you increase either current, turns, or both you will increase the strength of your magnet.

And you might need to cool the wire, if it gets hot you will have a drop in current.

I have to ask you how 'powerful' do you want your magnet to be? The answer to this question will affect your design from the very start.

Um honestly as strong as I can get it, what kind of design changes are you talking about?

That answer isn't any use, I'm afraid. Would you be prepared for your magnet to weigh two tons and take a thousand Amps? We have to start with some definite parameters.

Is Your magnet going to operate steady state, or will it be a surge operation -- extreme current for a very brief time?

This will affect how much inductance you can afford to have in the winding.

Ahh ok, so it's needs to be fairly small buty as long as it's not ridiculously heavy the weight doesn't really matter, under 100 pounds would be good. I'm useing a car battery to run it right now, but i can change that out for something else, but the power source needs to be portable and rechargeable so a car battery seemed like it would serve this purpose pretty well.

OldEngr63 said:
Is Your magnet going to operate steady state, or will it be a surge operation -- extreme current for a very brief time?

This will affect how much inductance you can afford to have in the winding.

It's going to operate at a steady state, it's going to be constantly on for long periods of time.

Review the drawings and equations in the attachment, especially Eq (6). The magnetic field B in the gap is proportional to the amp turns NI, and inversely to the gap height G. Based on this, what magnet design do you want (need)?
Are you more interested in 10 amps for several hours, or 100 amps for a few minutes? The resistance of the coil has to be designed specifically for the current required. Calculate the number of turns you want, then look up copper wire resistance in http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm.

Attachments

• Magnet_air_gap.jpg
    Magnet_air_gap.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 491

What materials are needed to build an electromagnet?

To build a powerful electromagnet, you will need a ferromagnetic core, such as iron or steel, insulated copper wire, a power source, and a switch or control mechanism.

How can I increase the strength of my electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet can be increased by increasing the number of wire coils, increasing the current flowing through the wire, and using a ferromagnetic core with high magnetic permeability.

What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet has a fixed magnetic field that does not require an external power source, while an electromagnet's magnetic field can be turned on and off by controlling the current flow through the wire.

Can I control the strength of an electromagnet?

Yes, the strength of an electromagnet can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the wire or by changing the number of coils in the wire.

What are some practical applications of powerful electromagnets?

Powerful electromagnets have a wide range of applications, including in motors, generators, MRI machines, particle accelerators, speakers, and magnetic levitation systems.