Exploring the Stripe Phase in Superconductivity

In summary, stripe phases or charge ordering can occur in high-temperature superconductors and are believed to be related to strongly-correlated electron systems. This phenomenon can also be observed in non-superconducting systems such as RMnO3 compounds. The mechanism that induces the instability of CDW and SDW is due to nesting of the Fermi surface, which can be observed through inelastic neutron scattering. The ordering wave vector at the critical temperature is the distance between parallel parts of the Fermi surface. The CDW/SDW is described as the "order parameter" in the Landau-Ginzburg model, involving a breaking of translational symmetry. The prototype SDW/CDW can be found in chromium metal, and
stephenhky
It was observed that stripe phases appear in some high-temperature superconductivity and it is believed to be related to strongly-correlated electron system. Is the mechanism of the formation of stripe phase completely known? Does it appear in non-superconducting systems as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
And does anybody know about charge density wave (CDW) and spin density wave (SDW)?

My question is... what is the mechanism that induces the instability of CDW and SDW?

Stripe phases or charge ordering also occur in RMnO3 compounds.

The usual origin of a CDW or SDW is an instability due nesting of the Fermi surface, i.e. parts of the Fermi surface being parallel to each other. The ordering wave vector at the critical temperature is then the distance in reciprocal space between these two parts of the Fermi surface.

In inelastic neutron scattering you can see phonon or magnons going soft at the ordering wave vector well above the transition temperature. When the phonon/magnon energy goes to zero, the system becomes unstable and long range order sets in.

M Quack said:
Stripe phases or charge ordering also occur in RMnO3 compounds.

The usual origin of a CDW or SDW is an instability due nesting of the Fermi surface, i.e. parts of the Fermi surface being parallel to each other. The ordering wave vector at the critical temperature is then the distance in reciprocal space between these two parts of the Fermi surface.

In inelastic neutron scattering you can see phonon or magnons going soft at the ordering wave vector well above the transition temperature. When the phonon/magnon energy goes to zero, the system becomes unstable and long range order sets in.
So you mention long-range. From the literature, I saw that CDW/SDW is described as the "order parameter" in Landau-Ginzburg model. What kind of symmetry breaking is involved? Can I say translational symmetry? Which reference do you suggest if I want to understand more about its phenomenological model and the origin of CDW/SDW?

Thanks!

Correct, translational symmetry is broken.

I have to check for a good reference that covers the subject.

The prototype SDW/CDW is in chromium metal, there is plenty of literature on that.

1. What is the stripe phase in superconductivity?

The stripe phase in superconductivity refers to a specific arrangement of electrons in a material that exhibits both superconducting and charge density wave properties. In this phase, the electrons form a periodic pattern of stripes, where the density of electrons is higher in some areas and lower in others.

2. What causes the stripe phase in superconductivity?

The exact cause of the stripe phase in superconductivity is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that it is a natural consequence of the competing interactions between the electrons in the material. Others propose that it is due to the presence of impurities or defects in the material.

3. How is the stripe phase related to superconductivity?

The stripe phase is closely related to superconductivity as it has been observed in several superconducting materials. It is believed that the stripe phase may play a role in the mechanism of superconductivity, but more research is needed to fully understand this relationship.

4. Can the stripe phase be controlled?

Yes, the stripe phase can be controlled to some extent by manipulating the external conditions of the material, such as temperature, pressure, or magnetic field. However, the exact methods for controlling the stripe phase are still being explored by scientists.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding the stripe phase in superconductivity?

Understanding the stripe phase in superconductivity could lead to the development of new superconducting materials with improved properties. It could also help in the design and optimization of superconducting devices for various applications, such as energy transmission and storage, medical imaging, and quantum computing.