Converting Linear Accelerator To Circular One

In summary: In short, the angular frequency of accelerated particles is determined by the ratio of the applied electric field to the mass of the particles, and this is also the frequency of the supplied current.
Mohamed Nedal
Hi guys ,

Suppose there is a circular accelerator has the same inner structure of a linear accelerator in terms of the rings of acceleration ...

The angular frequency of accelerated particles is : ω = qB/m = 2πf , and this is also the supplied current frequency ...

The question is , The above formula of ω works in this case ?

Sincerely , ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Just for future references, "accelerator" topics do not belong in High Energy/Nuclear Physics. While accelerators ARE used in those fields, the area of accelerator physics deals mainly with classical E&M, and thus, belong in the Classical Physics forum, which is where this thread will be moved to.

Zz.

For slow particles, that is fine. For relativistic particles, you need an additional factor of γ: ##\omega = \frac{qB}{\gamma m}##
and this is also the supplied current frequency ...
Current where?

ZapperZ said:
Just for future references, "accelerator" topics do not belong in High Energy/Nuclear Physics. While accelerators ARE used in those fields, the area of accelerator physics deals mainly with classical E&M, and thus, belong in the Classical Physics forum, which is where this thread will be moved to.

Zz.

Okay , I'll be careful in the next time

mfb said:
For slow particles, that is fine. For relativistic particles, you need an additional factor of γ: ##\omega = \frac{qB}{\gamma m}##

Current where?

The current that supplied to the accelerator

Mohamed Nedal said:
Hi guys ,

Suppose there is a circular accelerator has the same inner structure of a linear accelerator in terms of the rings of acceleration ...
Not sure what you are imagining here:
I think of a linear accelerator like that (link) ... so the picture I get is somehow putting the rings in a circle. But this uses electric fields so...
The angular frequency of accelerated particles is : ω = qB/m = 2πf , and this is also the frequency of the supplied current ...
... I'm not sure where the B comes into it.

mfb said:
For relativistic particles, you need an additional factor of γ: ##\omega = \frac{qB}{\gamma m}##

just curious, is the decrease in angular frequency due to time dilation or an increase in mass?

Mohamed Nedal said:
The current that supplied to the accelerator
That is extremely vague.

The connection to the electrical grid? That can be any frequency (or even DC), it does not matter as long as you know it in advance.

The electricity for dipole magnets? That depends on the energy of the particles in the ring. In storage rings, it is constant. If the energy of the particles increases, the current has to increase in most setups, too.
The electricity for kicker magnets? Varies with the beam and the setup.
The electricity for other magnets? Depends on the magnets.

The electricity for radio-frequency cavities? Those cavities need radio frequency as input, where the frequency depends on the cavity geometry.@greswd: It comes from the modified reaction of particles to forces: ##F_T=\gamma m a_T##. The mass of particles is constant, "relativistic mass" is something you find in outdated textbooks only.

yes I mean the current ( electricity ) that I apply on the accelerator .

According to what I understand , The angular frequency of moving particles is equal to the angular frequency of the current which is applied on the accelerator , is equal to : ω = q*B/m = 2*π*f , where ( f ) is the frequency of the current , right ?

If it was right , It is for one particle , So for all particles .. should I multiply with ( N ) the total number of particles ?

You do know that circular accelerators do not move electrons the way you are describing here's don't you?

Zz.

yes I know how cyclotron , synchrotron , betatron .. etc. works

I suppose another design for circular accelerator

Mohamed Nedal said:
yes I know how cyclotron , synchrotron , betatron .. etc. works

I don't think you do, and you're making very little sense in this thread, but OK.

Zz.

Mohamed Nedal said:
yes I mean the current ( electricity ) that I apply on the accelerator .
As mentioned before, that is not a useful description.

In that case, you should describe it first.

I agree with ZapperZ.

What is a Linear Accelerator and how does it work?

A Linear Accelerator (LINAC) is a type of particle accelerator that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate charged particles in a straight line. It works by producing a high-frequency electric field that propels the particles through a series of accelerating structures called cavities.

Why would someone want to convert a Linear Accelerator to a Circular one?

Converting a Linear Accelerator to a Circular one allows for the particles to be accelerated multiple times, resulting in higher energies and more precise control of the particle beam. This is useful for applications such as particle colliders or medical treatments.

What are the main challenges in converting a Linear Accelerator to a Circular one?

The main challenges in converting a Linear Accelerator to a Circular one include designing and building a suitable circular path for the particles, ensuring the particles maintain their energy throughout the circular path, and minimizing energy losses due to radiation.

What are the benefits of using a Circular Accelerator over a Linear one?

Circular Accelerators have the advantage of being able to accelerate particles to higher energies compared to Linear Accelerators. They also allow for the particles to be guided and controlled more precisely, making them useful for a variety of applications such as particle colliders, medical treatments, and nuclear research.

What are some real-world examples of Linear Accelerators being converted to Circular ones?

One example is the conversion of the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC) to the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory (SLAC). Another example is the conversion of the KEK electron Linear Accelerator in Japan to a proton synchrotron.