Potential Energy vs. Position Graph

In summary, the article discusses potential energy and equilibrium, specifically focusing on the concept of asymptotic stability and its relationship to stable equilibrium. The graph attached shows a potential energy vs. position graph, with a relative minimum identified as an equilibrium point. It is clarified that a relative minimum does not always correspond to a stable equilibrium, as a system with kinetic energy can still be in stable equilibrium. The slope of the potential energy vs. position graph is also discussed in relation to force.
Bashyboy
I attached a graph of a potential energy vs. position graph. My question is, the relative minimum is characterized as a equilibrium point, but what is, specifically, is this type of equilibrium point--a stable, unstable, or neutral one?

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0002.jpg
    Scan_Pic0002.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 959
Physics news on Phys.org
I am reading this article, http://home.comcast.net/~sharov/PopEcol/lec9/equilib.html , regarding potential energy and equilibrium, and I am rather bewildered by the article's use of the word asymptote. The sentence containing it is, "An equilibrium is considered stable (for simplicity we will consider asymptotic stability only)..." I tried to look up the word in the dictionary, but it came up with only the mathematical definition. What do they mean by asymptotic stability?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bashyboy said:
I attached a graph of a potential energy vs. position graph. My question is, the relative minimum is characterized as a equilibrium point, but what is, specifically, is this type of equilibrium point--a stable, unstable, or neutral one?

Stable - if you were to set a ball there it would tend to stay there unless disturbed strongly enough to push it "out of the valley".

Bashyboy said:
I am reading this article, http://home.comcast.net/~sharov/PopEcol/lec9/equilib.html , regarding potential energy and equilibrium, and I am rather bewildered by the article's use of the word asymptote. The sentence containing it is, "An equilibrium is considered stable (for simplicity we will consider asymptotic stability only)..." I tried to look up the word in the dictionary, but it came up with only the mathematical definition. What do they mean by asymptotic stability?

In this context, asymptotic stability means that if you drop a little ball into the "valley", it will roll back and forth around the bottom for a while before it comes to rest at the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, does a relative minimum always correspond to a stable equilibrium? At this point, the system possesses kinetic energy and potential energy, but that seems odd. Could you give me an example of a system that is in stable equilibrium that possesses kinetic energy and potential energy? Also, I understand that the slope of the potential energy vs. position graph is force, but why does it have to be the negative of the slope in order for it to be force?

Bashyboy said:
So, does a relative minimum always correspond to a stable equilibrium? At this point, the system possesses kinetic energy and potential energy, but that seems odd. Could you give me an example of a system that is in stable equilibrium that possesses kinetic energy and potential energy? Also, I understand that the slope of the potential energy vs. position graph is force, but why does it have to be the negative of the slope in order for it to be force?
In normal usage, stable equilibrium assumes there is little or no KE. If a body enters that position with significant KE, it might very well fail to stay there. But that does not alter the fact that it would have stayed there if the KE had been sufficiently small. If sufficiently small is still nonzero, it is a position of stable equilibrium.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position or state.

What is a position graph?

A position graph is a visual representation of an object's position over time.

How are potential energy and position related?

Potential energy and position are directly related, as potential energy is dependent on the position of an object. As the position of an object changes, its potential energy also changes.

How can a potential energy vs. position graph be useful?

A potential energy vs. position graph can be useful in understanding how the potential energy of an object changes as its position changes. It can also be used to analyze the energy of a system and make predictions about its behavior.

What factors can affect the shape of a potential energy vs. position graph?

The shape of a potential energy vs. position graph can be affected by factors such as the type of potential energy (gravitational, elastic, etc.), the mass of the object, and the position of other objects in the system.