Voltage on a positively charged object?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of voltage as electric pressure and how it relates to objects with different charge densities. It is mentioned that a positively charged object, like a van de graaff with an excess of electrons, also has a voltage associated with it, but it would be labeled with a positive value. The conversation also touches on how removing electrons from an object increases its potential and how the geometry of charged materials can affect voltage values.
kjamha
If I charge a van de graaff to say 10,000 V I would think of the voltage as electric pressure. There would be so many electrons looking to escape the metal ball, and this overcrowding of the electrons (electrostatic forces) would create electric pressure, or voltage. If my analogy is off, then the question I have might not make sense and I will have to revise. But I am wondering about an object that has a large deficit of electrons (positively charged). Does this object, just like the van de graaff, have a voltage associated with it? If so, would it be labeled any differently than a negatively charged object?

Physics news on Phys.org
A different charge density can lead to a voltage difference, but those values are not just proportional to each other - geometry of the charged materials matters, too.
If you remove electrons from an object, its potential increases.

kjamha said:
But I am wondering about an object that has a large deficit of electrons (positively charged). Does this object, just like the van de graaff, have a voltage associated with it?
Yes.
If so, would it be labeled any differently than a negatively charged object?
Yes. It's voltage would be labeled with a positive value; the negatively charged object is labeled with a negative value for voltage.

So in your original scenario (with an excess or overcrowding of electrons), the voltage would be -10,000 V (that's negative 10,000).

1. What is voltage?

Voltage, also known as electrical potential difference, is a measure of the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is voltage related to a positively charged object?

Voltage on a positively charged object is the amount of electric potential energy that the object has due to its positive charge. It is measured in volts and can be calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the amount of charge on the object.

3. What effect does voltage have on a positively charged object?

Voltage on a positively charged object causes the object to have a potential to do work, such as attracting negatively charged objects or creating an electric current. The higher the voltage, the greater the potential energy of the object.

4. How is voltage different from current?

Voltage and current are two different aspects of electricity. While voltage measures the electric potential energy, current measures the rate at which electric charge flows through a circuit. Voltage is measured in volts, while current is measured in amperes (A).

5. What factors can affect the voltage on a positively charged object?

The voltage on a positively charged object can be affected by several factors, including the amount of charge on the object, the distance between the object and other charged objects, and the type of material the object is made of.