Bogus email notification about threads with no new content.

• Thread starter strangerep
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of receiving update emails from PF about a thread, even after the user has accessed the thread. The user wonders if this can be fixed and it is suggested that it could be due to deleted posts or spam.
strangerep
Science Advisor
Here's an example. Look at the timestamp of my post #60 in this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=663012&page=4

About an hour later, I got "update" email from PF notifying about this thread. But why? The timestamp on the email was about an hour after my most recent access of that thread. So why is PF emailing me? This sort of thing has been happening for ages, and it's a bit annoying.

Can this be fixed?

Physics news on Phys.org
strangerep said:
Here's an example. Look at the timestamp of my post #60 in this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=663012&page=4

About an hour later, I got "update" email from PF notifying about this thread. But why? The timestamp on the email was about an hour after my most recent access of that thread. So why is PF emailing me? This sort of thing has been happening for ages, and it's a bit annoying.

Can this be fixed?

It's possible someone replied and then immediately deleted their post.

Or one of the Mentors deleted the post because it was spam or otherwise problematical. This morning I deleted a spam post advertising video streams and banned the poster, about two minutes after he posted it. :devil:

It's possible someone replied and then immediately deleted their post.
Hmm,... like I sometimes do when I decide I've been too harsh...

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys.

1. Why am I receiving bogus email notifications about threads with no new content?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that the email notification system is malfunctioning and sending out notifications for threads that have not actually been updated. Another possibility is that someone is intentionally sending out fake notifications as a form of spam or phishing attempt. It is also possible that the email notifications are legitimate, but you are not aware of the new content in the thread.

2. Can I stop receiving these bogus email notifications?

Yes, you can stop receiving these notifications by adjusting your email notification settings. You can either completely opt out of receiving email notifications or customize which types of notifications you want to receive. You can also mark the emails as spam so they are automatically filtered out of your inbox.

3. Is there a way to verify if the email notification is legitimate?

Yes, you can verify the legitimacy of the email notification by checking the sender's email address and domain. If the email is from a suspicious or unfamiliar address, it is likely a bogus notification. You can also log into your account on the website where the thread is located to confirm if there is actually new content.

4. How can I report these bogus email notifications?

If you believe the email notifications are from a spam or phishing attempt, you can report them to your email provider. Most email providers have a way to report spam or suspicious emails. You can also report the notifications to the website or forum where the thread is located. This will help the website to address the issue and prevent others from receiving these bogus notifications.

5. Can these bogus email notifications be harmful to my computer?

In most cases, these bogus email notifications are not harmful to your computer. However, if you click on any links or open attachments in the email, it could potentially lead to malware or viruses being downloaded onto your computer. It is always important to exercise caution when opening emails from unknown sources and to never click on suspicious links or attachments.