Why is there a delay of about 10 milliseconds of vocals in L or R?

• Thread starter tarekatpf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delay
In summary: It seems that the delay is used to create a sense of space and depth in the audio, making it sound more realistic and immersive. This is a common technique used in music production and in home theatre systems to enhance the listening experience.
tarekatpf
Why is there a delay of about 10 milliseconds of vocals in one of the stereo outputs?

I heard, this is supposed to give you a sense of space. But our ears are just less than 1 foot apart, and it takes sound about 1 millisecond to travel 1 feet in air. Since our ears are not 10 feet apart, we never perceive the same sound in one ear more than 1 millisecond later than the other. So, what's the point in putting so long delays?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You mean SciFi vocals, or Fantasy vocals?

Borek said:
You mean SciFi vocals, or Fantasy vocals?

Oh, sorry. I thought this category is for ''SciFi & fantasy movies, TV, books, comics, art, games and culture!'' So I thought I might put question on music as well. Now I get that even the ''TV, books, comics, art, games and culture'' questions have to be based on sci-fi and fantasy stuff.

Is there a way I can move this thread in a different category?

I would think 1 foot apart only works if you're wearing headphones. If it's designed for speakers, it's really more of a guess. And they're also assuming you're directly in the middle of the speakers, probably.

Likes 1 person
Honestly, no idea what category it is going to fit. Mostly because I have no idea what the question is about. I mean - I have never heard about the delay being added. But if it is, it just moves perceived source of the sound.

It's a technique to make sound more real by simulating it as it would be in 3D. There's a demo that uses the algorithm with a clip of someone cutting your hair and it sounds/feels like the scissors are actually moving around your head.

Likes 1 person
Without using headphones though, I don't think it works near as well, you can't guess the position of everyone in the room or their distance from the speaker, making the geometry rather undefined. The haircut one I listened to with headphones was unsettling. I was scared my ear was going to get snipped.

Likes 1 person
tarekatpf said:
Is there a way I can move this thread in a different category?

I've moved this to the general "Computing & Technology" forum, because we sometimes have questions about audio/video systems and technology there.

Likes 1 person
It's a fairly standard music production "trick". See the "chorus" section in
http://www.sonicscoop.com/2013/01/14/all-mixed-up-delay-is-a-mixers-best-friend-by-jamey-staub/ for example.

It doesn't have to correspond to anything physically "real", so long as it fools your brain into hearing what the record producer wants you to hear.

Likes 1 person
Pythagorean said:
I would think 1 foot apart only works if you're wearing headphones. If it's designed for speakers, it's really more of a guess. And they're also assuming you're directly in the middle of the speakers, probably.

Thank you very much. Yes, I didn't think about speakers actually. But the same sound reaching one ear, even when you're listening to music with speakers, at a delay of about 10-30 ms never happens in reality.

Somebody told me that it's intended to make the sounds sound ''thicker'' or ''wider'' or whatever. And another said, it helps the ''imperfect'' sounds sound less so.

jtbell said:
I've moved this to the general "Computing & Technology" forum, because we sometimes have questions about audio/video systems and technology there.

Thank you very much for the correction.

AlephZero said:
It's a fairly standard music production "trick". See the "chorus" section in
http://www.sonicscoop.com/2013/01/14/all-mixed-up-delay-is-a-mixers-best-friend-by-jamey-staub/ for example.

It doesn't have to correspond to anything physically "real", so long as it fools your brain into hearing what the record producer wants you to hear.

Thank you very much. That link was very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
You perceive the 10ms delayed speaker as being 10ft further away, increasing the perceived sound stage.

Spatial Enhancement is a hot audio processing topic, especially given all the Home Theatre systems out there now. For example, TI has chips for it:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/slyb185a/slyb185a.pdf [Broken]

Here is a pretty involved paper regarding a spatial enhancement technique:
http://www.academia.edu/1029860/Spatial_enhancement_for_immersive_stereo_audio_applications

Likes 1 person
meBigGuy said:
You perceive the 10ms delayed speaker as being 10ft further away, increasing the perceived sound stage.

Spatial Enhancement is a hot audio processing topic, especially given all the Home Theatre systems out there now. For example, TI has chips for it:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/slyb185a/slyb185a.pdf [Broken]

Here is a pretty involved paper regarding a spatial enhancement technique:
http://www.academia.edu/1029860/Spatial_enhancement_for_immersive_stereo_audio_applications

Thank you very much. Those links were very helpful.

1. What causes the delay of about 10 milliseconds of vocals in L or R?

The delay of vocals in L or R is caused by the difference in distance between the two speakers and the listener's ears. This is known as the interaural time difference, where sound reaches one ear before the other due to the distance it has to travel.

2. How does the delay of vocals in L or R affect our perception of sound?

The delay of vocals in L or R can create a sense of spaciousness or depth in the sound. It can also help with localization of sound, allowing us to determine the direction from which the sound is coming from.

3. Can the delay of vocals in L or R be adjusted or eliminated?

Yes, the delay of vocals in L or R can be adjusted or eliminated through the use of audio equipment such as digital delay processors or equalizers. These tools can help to synchronize the vocals in both channels to reduce or eliminate the delay.

4. Does the delay of vocals in L or R occur in all types of audio recordings?

No, the delay of vocals in L or R is mostly present in stereo recordings, where there are two distinct channels (L and R) for the audio. In mono recordings, where there is only one channel, the delay is not present as the sound is coming from the same source.

5. Is the delay of vocals in L or R noticeable to everyone?

It depends on the individual's perception and sensitivity to sound. Some people may not notice the delay at all, while others may be more attuned to it. Additionally, factors such as the quality of the audio equipment and the environment in which the sound is being played can also affect its perceptibility.