Book Where to find famous maths books?

• Thread starter AlexVGheo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Books
In summary, the conversation revolved around the search for a copy of Diophantus's Arithmatica with Fermat's commentaries. It was mentioned that Fermat's son, Samuel, published an edition of the Arithmetica in 1670 containing both the original Greek text and a Latin translation, as well as Fermat's commentaries. However, the original volume owned by Fermat is lost and the 1670 edition is the earliest copy with his notations. It was also mentioned that there have been multiple translations of the Arithmetica, but it is unclear if anyone has translated Samuel's edition into English. Additionally, there is a book about Fermat's mathematical career that was printed in 199
AlexVGheo
Hi,

I have read a lot of mathematics history like S. Hollingdale's Maker's of Mathematics and pop-maths like Simon Singh's Fermat's Last Theorem etc. And from these I found references to other, historic/inspiring, mathematical works like Euclid's Elements and A Mathematician's Apology and so forth which I consequently read, but there is one work that I cannot find on the internet! I want a copy of Diophantus's Arithmatica, moreover I want a copy that has Fermat's commentaries in it...

So my question is where can I find it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Fermat' son Samuel published an edition of Diophantine's Arithmetica in 1670 after his father's death. This edition contained the text of the Arithmetica in the original Greek with a parallel translation in Latin. Fermat's commentaries are also printed in the text where presumably they were originally found. These commentaries are written in Latin. The edition on which Fermat made his comments was Bachet's, printed in 1621. The actual volume owned by Fermat is now lost, so the 1670 edition printed by his son is the earliest copy containing his father's notations.

A copy of the actual section containing the famous Last Theorem can be seen here:

http://math.wallawalla.edu/conferences/TomAndKen/presentations/outlines/kleiji.pdf

Very good, it is exactly the book I was looking for. But does that mean no one has translated Samule's publicationm to English?

IDK if anyone has translated the entire composite work. Certainly, the Arithmetica has been translated several times. As for Fermat's scribblings, I'm not sure.

All of Fermat's surviving work was collected and printed in France (in French naturellement) more than a century ago. There is a more recent book about his mathematical career which was printed in 1994.

See:
http://www.springer.com/cda/content/document/cda_downloaddocument/9780817682675-c1.pdf

Specifically, Refs. 26 and 35 at the end.

I understand the importance of accessing reliable and accurate information, especially in the field of mathematics. I can suggest a few ways to find a copy of Diophantus's Arithmetica with Fermat's commentaries.

Firstly, I would recommend checking with your local library or university library. They may have a physical copy of the book or be able to request it through interlibrary loan. This is a great option because you can access the book for free and it also ensures that you are getting a reliable and authentic version.

If you prefer to have a personal copy, you can also try searching for it on online bookstores such as Amazon or Barnes and Noble. These websites often have a wide selection of books, including rare and historic ones. You can also search for specific editions, such as those with Fermat's commentaries, to narrow down your search.

Another option is to look for digital copies of the book. Many universities and libraries have digital collections that include rare and historic books. You can also try searching for it on websites such as Google Books or Project Gutenberg.

Lastly, you can reach out to mathematics societies or organizations, such as the Mathematical Association of America, and inquire about the availability of the book. They may have resources or connections that can help you find a copy.

I hope these suggestions help you in your search for Diophantus's Arithmetica. As a fellow lover of mathematics, I understand the importance of reading and studying historic works in the field. Best of luck in your search!

1. What are some famous maths books?

Some of the most famous maths books include "The Elements" by Euclid, "Principia Mathematica" by Isaac Newton, "The Art of Computer Programming" by Donald Knuth, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and "The Mathematical Theory of Communication" by Claude Shannon.

2. Where can I find these famous maths books?

You can find these books at your local library, online bookstores such as Amazon, or at university bookstores.

3. Are these books suitable for beginners?

Some of these books, such as "The Elements" and "A Brief History of Time," are more accessible to beginners, while others, like "The Art of Computer Programming," may require a stronger background in mathematics. It is always best to read reviews or ask for recommendations before diving into a new maths book.

4. Can I find these books in digital format?

Yes, many of these famous maths books are available in digital formats such as e-books or audiobooks. This can be a convenient option for those who prefer to read or listen on electronic devices.

5. Are there any newer maths books that have gained popularity?

Yes, there are constantly new maths books being published, and some have gained popularity in recent years, such as "The Joy of x" by Steven Strogatz and "How Not to Be Wrong" by Jordan Ellenberg. It's always a good idea to stay updated on new releases in the field of mathematics.