Creating a Model of a Falling CEV

In summary, the conversation is about creating a simple model of a CEV falling straight down. The speaker has already started working on the model and just needs to find physical characteristics like weight, surface area, and forces of the thruster. They are asking for ideas on where to find this information and are advised to respond to the original thread in the ME&AE subforum instead of crossposting.
schemp98
Hello,

I originally posted this in another category, but think this would be a better place for it...

I need to create a simple model of a CEV falling straight down (with some neglible initial horizontal velocity)

I already have a 'skeleton' of a model up and running. Basically, I just need to find physical characteristics such as weight, surface area w/ and w/o parachutes open, and forces of the thruster (approximations are fine).

Any ideas on where I could easily find this stuff? Thanks

Shaun

Engineering news on Phys.org
crossposting isn't necessary. People generally read all of the subforums, and carrying on conversations in multiple places is difficult. Please respond to the thread in ME&AE

Hi Shaun,

Creating a model of a falling CEV can be an interesting and challenging task. To start, you will need to determine the weight of the CEV. This can be calculated by using the mass of the CEV and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). The surface area of the CEV can be estimated by looking at the dimensions of the vehicle and using basic geometric formulas.

As for the forces of the thruster, you can approximate this by looking at the type of thruster that will be used and its maximum thrust output. Keep in mind that the thrust will also decrease as the CEV falls closer to the ground due to air resistance.

To find this information, you can start by researching the specific CEV design you are using. If this is not available, you can also look at similar spacecrafts or rockets to get a general idea of the weight, surface area, and thruster forces.

Another resource you can use is NASA's website, which has a lot of information on spacecraft design and specifications. You can also consult with a physics or engineering professor for more accurate calculations and advice.

Good luck with your model! It sounds like a fun project.

1. What is a CEV?

A CEV (Crew Exploration Vehicle) is a spacecraft designed by NASA to transport astronauts to and from the International Space Station and potentially other destinations in the future.

2. Why is it important to create a model of a falling CEV?

Creating a model of a falling CEV allows scientists to understand the forces and dynamics involved in a potential emergency situation during re-entry. This information can be used to improve safety measures and design of future spacecraft.

3. What factors are involved in creating a model of a falling CEV?

Factors such as the weight and shape of the CEV, atmospheric conditions, and gravitational forces play a role in creating an accurate model. Other factors such as the angle of descent and potential malfunctions must also be considered.

4. How do scientists create a model of a falling CEV?

Scientists use computer simulations and physical prototypes to create a model of a falling CEV. They input data on the various factors involved and use mathematical equations and principles of physics to predict the behavior of the spacecraft during descent.

5. What are some potential applications of a model of a falling CEV?

A model of a falling CEV can be used to improve the safety and design of future spacecraft, as well as train astronauts for emergency scenarios during re-entry. It can also be used to study the effects of different variables on the flight path and landing of the CEV.