What books do you recommend for reference?

In summary, the book "Quantum Mechanics-an introduction, 4th ed" is being read by the protagonist in order to gain a deeper understanding of QM relationships with their philosophical meanings. The protagonist has some knowledge in electrodynamics and theory of relativity, but is mostly interested in QM. They are looking for a book that contains calculations and exercises, and has a lot of references to other research. They are satisfied with their current book, but are looking to expand their knowledge.
maverick6664
At first I want to know the relationships of the math/formulae on QM and their phylosophical meanings. I've read some books for general public, and have basic idea. So now I'm feeling it's a nice time to learn further.

I have some knowledge on electrodynamics (I don't know how much level I can say; I don't know the criteria. At least I can explain several phenomena based on Maxwell equations), and theory of relativety. But I didn't learn QM so much.

So I want to learn QM and now am reading Greiner's "Quantum Mechanics-an introduction, 4th ed". I chose this one because it has a lot of calculations and I want to calculate by myself. And this book has a lot of exercises I can try and can do to confirm my knowledge. I am learning just for fun (not for research myself, because I'm not professional on physics), but I want to bind math and its meanings, because I personally think it's important and want to trace past researcher's works; how they worked and how they deduced principles. I know I'm very special in this sense; not professional, but want to trace researcher's work. Fortunately I'm good at math. Even if a new concept is given, I will be good at it in a short time.

There are many physics forums such as this on the Internet I can ask. But this forum looks the best.

When I was a high school student I studied theory of relativety, special and general up to black hole (no further), and when I was a university student I wrote a program in C to trace photon passing near a black hole with the mass of the Earth (around 7mm diameter, Schwarzschild radius. 16 years ago.)

For such a guy, what do you recommend (books or online references) to know the general, but specific knowledge on QM. I am not sure QED is necessary to me, or it may be necessary. Again I want books mentioning relationships between the formulae and its phylosophical meanings, and how researchers reached there. If it contains exercises, it's much helpful.

BTW now I'm developing for setiathome_enhanced and astropulse in the near future at boinc (see beta test and SETI@home.) If you are interested in it, you can easily run those programs in the background on several OS's. And it's my base now (I'm developing for Berkeley at beta test project. This is my another personal project than QM or any other my interest on physics and it's my base.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say you're looking for an undergraduate QM textbook. I'd suggest Griffiths for philoshopical connections, Sakurai for mathematical rigor.

- Warren

chroot said:
I'd say you're looking for an undergraduate QM textbook. I'd suggest Griffiths for philoshopical connections, Sakurai for mathematical rigor.
- Warren
Thank you!

Especially I'm interested in Sakurai's. I've read reviews on Amazon's site on these two books " Modern Quantum Mechanics" and "Advanced Quantum Mechanics". The former will have many in common with my current book, and the latter will be better.

Griffiths' books seems to coincide with my current book in several portions, and may be a waste of time and efforts...I'll think about it... I may not need books on philosophical meanings. I need to think about it.

Thank you very much! And I would like to know other opinions also!

Last edited:
The one you should get is "Modern Quantum Mechanics", not "Advanced Quantum Mechanics". The "advanced" book is not at all what you're looking for. I would skip it completely. "Modern Quantum Mechanics" is a great book even if you've read other stuff about QM.

It doesn't say much about how things were discovered though.

Fredrik said:
The one you should get is "Modern Quantum Mechanics", not "Advanced Quantum Mechanics". The "advanced" book is not at all what you're looking for. I would skip it completely. "Modern Quantum Mechanics" is a great book even if you've read other stuff about QM.
It doesn't say much about how things were discovered though.

Thank you! Looking at the index, "Modern.." looks a fit. Then how about QED?

As far as I read reviews on these two books, "Modern QM" sounds a formal QM book, and "Advanced QM" is an intuitive, and introduction to QED... I'm wondering...and I'll decided in the meantime. I'm not in a hurry.

EDIT: yes, I decided to buy "Modern..." :) Thanks! I'm satisfied with my current one (Greiner's QM) and its math explanations & exercises though it's a bit thick (about 480p) I don't care :)

Last edited:
I ordered "Modern QM" by Sakurai and "Quantum Electrodynamics" by Greiner and the latter has come. I'm waiting for the former and hope it will arrive soon.

1. What types of books do you recommend for reference?

There are various types of books that can be helpful for reference, such as textbooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks, and research papers. It ultimately depends on the specific subject or topic you are studying.

2. Which authors or publishers do you suggest for reference books?

Some reputable authors and publishers for reference books include Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, Pearson Education, McGraw-Hill Education, and Wiley. It is always a good idea to check the credentials and expertise of the author or publisher before purchasing a reference book.

3. Are there any online resources you recommend for reference?

Yes, there are many online resources that can be helpful for reference, such as online databases, academic journals, and websites of reputable organizations or institutions. Some examples include JSTOR, Google Scholar, and the National Institutes of Health website.

4. How do you determine which reference books are reliable?

When selecting reference books, it is important to consider the credibility and expertise of the author or publisher, the accuracy of the information presented, and whether the book has been peer-reviewed or edited by experts in the field. Reading reviews and checking the sources cited in the book can also help determine its reliability.

5. Can you recommend any reference books for a specific subject or topic?

It would be helpful to know the specific subject or topic you are interested in to provide a tailored recommendation. However, some general reference books that are highly regarded in their respective fields include "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White for writing and grammar, "The Chicago Manual of Style" for citation and formatting, and "The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy" for medical information.