Conducting sphere in E-field

In summary, the speaker has solved an electrostatics problem involving finding the surface charge density on a conducting sphere in a previously uniform electric field. They had to assume that V=0 on the surface of the sphere, which may be a simplification for computation purposes.
sachi
I've solved an electrostatics problem where we have to find the surface charge density on a conducting sphere in a previously uniform E-Field, but I had to assume that V=0 on the surface of the cylinder, and I'm not sure why this is the case. I know that E=0 inside, so the potential should be constant, but I don't see why it should be zero (is this an extra assumption, or is there something else I'm missing?)
thanks for your help

Sachi

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential "V" is relative to something. You can call the baseline V=0 anywhere in a field. Probably it was specified as V=0 on the surface of the sphere for ease of computation.

1. What is a conducting sphere in an electric field?

A conducting sphere in an electric field is a physical system where a metallic sphere is placed in an electric field. The sphere is made of a conductive material, meaning that it allows the flow of electricity. The electric field surrounding the sphere will interact with the free electrons in the material, causing them to move and redistribute themselves.

2. What is the purpose of studying a conducting sphere in an electric field?

Studying a conducting sphere in an electric field allows scientists to understand the behavior of conductors in an electric field. This knowledge is crucial in various fields such as electronics, power transmission, and electromagnetism. It also helps in the development of technologies that rely on electric fields.

3. How does the electric field affect the conducting sphere?

The electric field exerts a force on the free electrons in the conducting sphere, causing them to move. This movement creates an electric current within the sphere, which in turn generates an electric field that opposes the external field. This results in a redistribution of charges on the surface of the sphere, creating an electric dipole moment.

4. What is the relationship between the electric field and the surface charge density on the conducting sphere?

The surface charge density on the conducting sphere is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. This means that as the electric field increases, the surface charge density also increases. This relationship is described by the Gauss's law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of the medium.

5. How does the shape and size of the conducting sphere affect its interaction with the electric field?

The shape and size of the conducting sphere can significantly affect its interaction with the electric field. A larger sphere will have a larger surface area, allowing for more charge redistribution and a stronger electric dipole moment. The shape of the sphere can also alter the distribution of charges, affecting the direction of the electric field lines. For example, an elongated sphere will have a different electric field pattern than a spherical one.