Proof for similarity between R X R, and R

• Thread starter calvino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, for the first problem, it is not true that |S| > 2|R|. However, if you assume the GCH, then the answer might be different. For the second problem, it is not possible to construct an isomorphism between the two.
calvino
Proof for similarity between R X R, and R...

Well, there are actually two similar questions that I need help on. The first is to prove that for any infinite set R, there is always a 1-1, and onto mapping from RxR to R.

The second is to show that (RXR, +) ~ (R, +). Here R is the reals, and ~ symbolizes that the two are isomorphic.

I know the two questions are similar, which is why I grouped them together. I'm just not sure where to start. Any help would be great, and I'll be sure to post my progress. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for the second one, I suppose the Pi function defined by PI(a,b)=a is good, right? What exactly is there to prove, if one can come up with an example (suitable for both cases)?

I phrased the first question wrong. I decided to make one thread with all my problems (since I have quite a bit that I'm stuck on)...sorry for any inconvenience.

closed...see "ALGEBRA PROBLEMS"

No, that is not an isomorphism. In particular, it is not injective, as you can easily check. Now there is something of a "standard" bijection from RxR to R, but I highly doubt it is an isomorphism of groups. Moreover, this bijection relies on decimal expansions, so it wouldn't be much good for your first problem which deals with arbitrary infinite sets.

For the second problem, my only guesses would be to do something abstract, i.e. I can't think of how to construct an actual isomorphism between the two. But maybe you can take some very large group, e.g. an infinite product of something, and find a surjective homomorphism from this group onto R, and another one onto RxR, but both with the same kernel, and then apply the first isomorphism theorem.

It seems like quite a tough problem. The two spaces are not homeomorphic as topological spaces, they are not isomorphic as rings, they are not isomorphic as vector spaces, and RxR isn't even a field. So RxR and R are different in so many ways, it's counterintuitive that they'd be the same as groups.

For the first problem, do you know any theorems regarding the sizes of infinite sets. Like if R is an infinite set, and S is another infinite set strictly larger than R, then is it true that |S| > 2|R|? If so, perhaps you can show |RxR| < 2|R|.

Last edited:
AKG said:
For the first problem, do you know any theorems regarding the sizes of infinite sets. Like if R is an infinite set, and S is another infinite set strictly larger than R, then is it true that |S| > 2|R|? If so, perhaps you can show |RxR| < 2|R|.
This only works if you assume the Generalized Continuum Hypothesis. :)

1. What is the definition of similarity in mathematics?

In mathematics, two objects are considered similar if they have the same shape but may differ in size. This means that the objects have corresponding angles that are equal and corresponding sides that are proportional.

2. How is similarity related to the real numbers (R)?

Similarity is a concept that can be applied to any geometric figures, including those represented by real numbers. In this case, similarity is determined by the values of the real numbers and their corresponding relationships, such as proportions and ratios.

3. What is the relationship between R X R and R in terms of similarity?

R X R (the Cartesian product of the real numbers with itself) and R (the set of real numbers) are both examples of mathematical sets that can be used to represent geometric figures. In terms of similarity, R X R and R can be considered equivalent as they both contain elements that have the same properties and can be compared in terms of size and shape.

4. How can we prove the similarity between R X R and R?

The similarity between R X R and R can be proven using mathematical proofs. This involves demonstrating that the two sets have the same properties and can be compared in terms of size and shape. This can be done by showing that the elements of R X R and R have corresponding angles that are equal and corresponding sides that are proportional.

5. Why is proving the similarity between R X R and R important?

Proving the similarity between R X R and R is important because it helps to establish a fundamental understanding of geometric figures represented by real numbers. This can aid in solving mathematical problems and can also be applied to real-world situations where geometric figures are used, such as in architecture and engineering.