What is "Existence" - Exploring Its Meaning

• Thread starter Kolahal Bhattacharya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Existence
In summary, the recent topic is about existence and the conversation revolves around understanding its meaning. While some believe it is a learning process, others compare it to being immersed in water. The question arises whether a computer program can have a conscious understanding of its own existence.
Kolahal Bhattacharya
The recent topic is about existence.I do not want the precise deinition.But, want to know clearly, what does it mean.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kolahal Bhattacharya said:
The recent topic is about existence.I do not want the precise deinition.But, want to know clearly, what does it mean.
The amazing Wikipedia again has http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existence" even to this question.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Madge, the astute manicurist, says, "You're soaking in it."

but I think this problem should go into the Philosophy forums, not Physics.

Yeah, Intro Physics is the place for homework questions, so I'm going to move this thread. Since it doesn't meet the Philosophy Guidelines I am going to move it to GD where you all can chit chat about existence.

Information, micro and macro.

I had a look at that wikipedia thread, my God existence is sentence structure, and discussing meaning in words, so before language we could not of existed!:wink: Ontology is obviously for pedants without any imagination, or am I missing something here? I must admit I couldn't read that link without losing focus on reality.:yuck:

existence is not anything in that wikipedia article that much I do know.:biggrin:

Just substitute 'existence' for 'life' in the old saying; it's what happens while you're busy making other plans.

I have been around the sun 43 times and it appears to me that existence is some sort of learning process.

RAD4921 said:
I have been around the sun 43 times and it appears to me that existence is some sort of learning process.
I think you are just getting dizzy :rofl: :rofl:

I temporarily cause a local reduction in entropy, therefore I am. :biggrin:

What isn't existence?

But seriously, here's a good quote that I find a bit of a mind-trip:

"A fish cannot comprehend the existence of water. He is too deeply immersed in it."

-Sir Oliver Lodge

Another good thought:
Can a computer program ever have a conscious understanding of the computer running it?

Last edited:
Mech_Engineer said:
What isn't existence?

But seriously, here's a good quote that I find a bit of a mind-trip:

"A fish cannot comprehend the existence of water. He is too deeply immersed in it."

-Sir Oliver Lodge

Another good thought:
Can a computer program ever have a conscious understanding of the computer running it?

Depends on the program, with enough sophistication you may as well ask the question: does a human being have a conception of the neural circuitry that runs it? Think HAL for example from 2000: a space odyssey, he was self aware. Not beyond the bounds of conception is it?

1. What is the definition of existence?

Existence refers to the state or fact of being alive, present, or real. It is the state of having being or actuality.

2. How do we know if something exists?

We can determine if something exists through our senses, perceptions, and experiences. We can also use scientific methods and evidence to verify the existence of something.

3. Can existence be proven or is it a matter of belief?

Existence can be proven through empirical evidence and scientific reasoning. However, some aspects of existence, such as consciousness, may be a matter of belief and cannot be definitively proven.

4. Does existence have a purpose?

This is a philosophical question that has been debated for centuries. Some believe that existence has a predetermined purpose, while others believe that it is up to individuals to create their own purpose in life.

5. Is existence limited to physical objects or does it include abstract concepts?

Existence can include both physical objects and abstract concepts. While physical objects have tangible existence, abstract concepts such as love, justice, and time also have an existence in our minds and cultures.