Will Lobby Reform Be Addressed If Democrats Win Congress?

• News
  • Thread starter Skyhunter
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the Democrats winning the Congress and implementing lobby reform through publicly financed elections. Some express skepticism about the Democrats' ability to bring about meaningful change while others believe that a change in power could lead to impeachment proceedings against President Bush. The need for oversight and investigation is also mentioned, as well as the potential for a new Speaker of the House. The underlying issue of lobbyist influence in Congress is highlighted, and the idea of public campaign financing is proposed as a solution. Overall, the conversation reflects a desire for significant change in the political landscape.
Skyhunter
Here is the trailer for a PBS documentary scheduled to air Wednesday October 4th.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5QFlOC-FScY

If the Democrats win the Congress this election cycle, will they address lobby reform in a substantive way?

IE publicly financed elections. Or will they pass a few ethics rules and continue business as usual?

I don't have a lot of confidence in the Dem's but better an unknown possible evil, as opposed to a known evil. I guess I will take my chances and support the Democratic party this cycle.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the Dems win back Congress, the first thing that I want to hear is when impeachment proceedings and removal of Bush from office can be expected.

As for the argument that now is not the time for such a disruption, I say there has never been a better time nor more appropriate [demanding] circumstances. Corruption is one thing, but this continued assault on the Constitution is criminal in the extreme.

...And they had better pick a good replacement for Hastert since Cheney will have to go as well, and I think that makes the next in line the Speaker of the House. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
If the Dems win back Congress, the first thing that I want to hear is when impeachment proceedings and removal of Bush from office can be expected.

As for the argument that now is not the time for such a disruption, I say there has never been a better time nor more appropriate [demanding] circumstances. Corruption is one thing, but this continued assault on the Constitution is criminal in the extreme.

...And they had better pick a good replacement for Hastert since Cheney will have to go as well, and I think that makes the next in line the Speaker of the House. :biggrin:
I would be happy with just plain oversight. Before they can impeach Bush, they need to investigate, a little subpoena power goes a long way. My guess is that once an investigation is underway Bush will be advised to resign.

If the Dem's win the House, Nancy Pelosi will be the new speaker.

The crux of the problem with Congress is lobbyist money buying influence. That can only be seriously curtailed by public campaign financing.

Skyhunter said:
I would be happy with just plain oversight. Before they can impeach Bush, they need to investigate, a little subpoena power goes a long way. My guess is that once an investigation is underway Bush will be advised to resign.

If the Dem's win the House, Nancy Pelosi will be the new speaker.

The crux of the problem with Congress is lobbyist money buying influence. That can only be seriously curtailed by public campaign financing.
President Pelosi has a nice ring to it.

turbo-1 said:
President Pelosi has a nice ring to it.
Sounds better than Bush, but remember she is a party politician.

The Democratic establishment is IMO, only slightly less corporatist than the GOP. That is why I advocate public campaign financing. It will allow candidates not affiliated with the mainstream political machine to compete, especially at local levels.

1. What is "Bill Moyers - Capitol Crimes" about?

"Bill Moyers - Capitol Crimes" is a documentary series that explores the intersection of money, politics, and power in the United States government. It delves into the corrupting influence of money in politics and the ways in which it can lead to unethical and criminal behavior within the Capitol.

2. Who is Bill Moyers?

Bill Moyers is an American journalist, author, and public commentator. He has worked in journalism for over 50 years, including serving as a White House Press Secretary under President Lyndon B. Johnson. He is known for his investigative journalism and documentaries.

3. What are some examples of "capitol crimes" covered in the series?

The series covers a range of crimes and unethical behavior in the Capitol, including bribery, influence peddling, embezzlement, and conflicts of interest. It also explores the role of lobbyists and special interest groups in shaping legislation and government policies.

4. Is this series biased towards a particular political ideology?

While Bill Moyers has been known for his liberal political views, the series itself strives to present a balanced and objective view of the issues. It features interviews with individuals from both sides of the political spectrum and presents evidence from multiple sources to support its arguments.

5. How can watching "Bill Moyers - Capitol Crimes" make a difference?

By shedding light on the corrupting influence of money in politics and exposing unethical behavior in the Capitol, this series aims to educate and inform viewers about the importance of holding our government accountable. It also encourages viewers to take action and demand reform to create a more transparent and ethical government.