Singularity and movement question

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of two singularities colliding and the potential outcomes of such a collision. The participants also question the concept of a singularity having a velocity and methods of accelerating such a massive entity. They also consider the preservation of a singularity's impulse in a collision.
Writersblock
Hello all,

This is a thought experiment I have been tangling with for quite some time now and still cannot find anything worthwhile on the net to determine its outcome.
I'd like to know what happens if two singularities would collide head on. ( I know that singularites have no strict dimensions and it would be hard to let them actually collide in a pure mathematical sense but bare with me)
If given the singularities are of same proportions (mass, velocity) would the collision create a single new singularity with zero velocity at point of impact?
I cannot imagine them bouncing off since both would enter each others event horizon.
Would increasing the velocity change the outcome of the collision?

Thanks in advance.
Writersblock.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Writersblock !, hi to all,

pardon my ignorance, but, can a singularity possesses a velocity other than the one it has in it's own frame of reference ? How would we be able to accelerate such a massive entity ?

VE

One could use the carrot on a stick method. By using another mass that mass attracts the singularity as well as that the singularity pulls the other mass in. It would take ages to actually move a very massive object but as I said its a thought expiriment. I was wondering if a singularity's impulse would be preserved if hit by another singularity of opposite vector. I am guessing singularities when coliding have a full non elastic collision. However I am having a hard time proofing this.

Thanks for the reply.
Writersblock

Last edited:

What is the concept of Singularity and movement question?

The concept of Singularity and movement question, also known as the Singularity hypothesis, is a theoretical concept that predicts a future event where artificial intelligence will surpass human intelligence, leading to rapid advancements in technology and society.

What are the potential impacts of Singularity on society and humanity?

The potential impacts of Singularity on society and humanity are still highly debated, but some potential scenarios include increased automation and job loss, possible creation of new forms of life, and ethical concerns regarding the control and use of advanced technology.

Is Singularity a realistic possibility or just science fiction?

The idea of Singularity is a hotly debated topic in the scientific community. While some experts believe that it is a realistic possibility, others argue that it is just science fiction and not based on solid evidence or scientific principles.

What are some current advancements in technology that could lead to Singularity?

Some current advancements in technology that could potentially lead to Singularity include developments in artificial intelligence, robotics, biotechnology, and nanotechnology. These fields are rapidly advancing and could potentially contribute to the creation of super-intelligent machines.

Are there any potential risks associated with Singularity?

Like any major technological advancement, Singularity also has potential risks and consequences. Some experts have raised concerns about the potential loss of human control over advanced technology, the creation of powerful and possibly dangerous AI, and the widening of societal inequalities.