Solving Cube & Sphere Geometry Problem - Help Needed

• Thread starter recon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the problem involves a cube of edge 6 cm being divided into 216 unit cubes and a sphere of diameter 6 cm being inscribed in the larger cube. The task is to find the number of complete unit cubes contained in the sphere. After discussing possible methods and eliminating certain cubes, the answer is determined to be 56 complete unit cubes.
recon
I am having difficulty solving the following problem:

"A cube of edge 6 cm is divided into 216 unit cubes by planes parallel to the faces of the cube. A sphere of diameter 6 cm is inscribed in the large cube so that the faces of this cube are tangent to the sphere. What is the number of complete unit cubes contained in the sphere?"

Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
try doing it for a 6 unit square and 6 unit diameter circle first. maybe that will help.

Hmmm, no replies...is the question really that hard? Or are you not helping me because you think it is homework? If that's the case, you're wrong. I'm just doing the problem out of interest.

So, please, please help me :frown: .

It's not hard, it's just not that interesting for me cos it's fiddly.

here's a long winded way to do it:

for each cube, pick the furthest corner from the centre of the sphere, find the length from that corner to the centre of the sphere - not too hard, and see if its less than the radius of the sphere. by symmetry you only need to do it for something like 27 cubes. and clearly none on the surface of the larger cube will work, and that's 19 of the 27 got rid of straight away. of the remaining 8, only one, the furthest from the centre needs any consideration, really, and as sqrt 12 > 3 its furthest corner lies outside the sphere,

so the answer appears to be 7*8=56

that do you?

What is the difference between a cube and a sphere?

A cube is a three-dimensional shape with six square faces, while a sphere is a three-dimensional shape with a curved surface and no corners or edges.

How do I solve a cube or sphere geometry problem?

To solve a cube or sphere geometry problem, you will need to use mathematical formulas and principles such as surface area, volume, and Pythagorean theorem. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, and then apply the appropriate formulas to find the solution.

What is the surface area of a cube or sphere?

The surface area of a cube is equal to six times the length of one side squared. The surface area of a sphere is equal to four times pi times the radius squared.

How do I find the volume of a cube or sphere?

The volume of a cube is equal to the length of one side cubed. The volume of a sphere is equal to four-thirds times pi times the radius cubed.

Can you provide an example of a cube or sphere geometry problem?

Example: Find the surface area of a cube with side length 5 cm.

Solution: The surface area of a cube is 6 times the side length squared, so the surface area of this cube is 6 x 5^2 = 150 cm^2.