Determine the point at which the electric field is zero

In summary: E1=KQ/x^2E2=KQ/(x+1)^2E_net=E1+E2E_net=6KQ/x^2 - 2.50KQ/(x+1.00)^22.50/(x+1.00m)^2=6/x^22.50x^2=6x^2+12.00x+6.006x^2-2.50x^2+12.00x+6.00=03.50x^2+12.00x+6.00=
oooride
Two charges -2.50 C and 6.00 C are 1.00 m apart, determine the point at which the electric field is zero.

I thought this problem would be easy but I must be doing something ridiculously wrong because I've been stuck on this problem for a about an hour...

I broke up the problem into E1 & E2 using E = kq/r^2, and replacing r^2 in E1 with x^2 and r^2 in E2 with (x+1.00m)^2 and tried to solve using the quadratic formula without success..

Any hints?

thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything you did is correct.
You use E1+E2=0, use your xlike you said and
solve. Try it again.
(I get about 1.91 m)

hmmmm..

It's been a long day so maybe I'm making some stupid mistake, but I'm still unable to come up with anything near the answer.. The book shows (1.82m to the left of the negative charge) as the answer, and you're at ~1.91m, very much closer than my answer.

Here's what I did:

E1=KQ/x^2
E2=KQ/(x+1)^2

E_net = E1 + E2

E_net = 6KQ/x^2 - 2.50KQ/(x+1.00)^2

2.50/(x+1.00m)^2 = 6/x^2

2.50x^2 = 6(x+1.00m)^2

2.50x^2 = 6x^2 + 12.00x + 6.00

6x^2 - 2.50x^2 + 12.00x + 6.00 = 0

3.50x^2 + 12.00x + 6.00 = 0

-12.00 +- sqrt (12.00)^2 - 4(3.50)(6.00) / 2(3.50)

-12.00 +- sqrt (144)-(84) / 7.00

-12.00 +- 7.75 / 7.00

= -0.607 and -2.82 which I believe is completely wrong...

Am I making a stupid calc error? Am I not finishing the problem? or did I just completely approach it wrong?

Thanks for the hints in advance.. :)

Oops... your book is correct I made a calc mistake
by getting delta = sqrt(100+180) and it's supposed
to be sqrt(100+140). Which gives you 1.82.

Anyway, the electric field will be 0 farther (1+x) from the
6 C than from the -2.5 C (x) so you've simply put
the distances in reverse in your field strenght equations.

Live long and prosper.

Ahhhhhh... I came out with 1.82m now. Thanks!

oooride,
I had that exact problem to work out too. We must be using the same book, "Physics for Scientist and Engineers", 6th edition by Serway and Jewett?

I got stuck on this one until the prof went over it in class.
After you posted it here, I went through to see if I can solve it on my own, and I GOT STUCK AGAIN!

Thanks for the review reminder.

Originally posted by paul11273
oooride,
I had that exact problem to work out too. We must be using the same book, "Physics for Scientist and Engineers", 6th edition by Serway and Jewett?

I got stuck on this one until the prof went over it in class.
After you posted it here, I went through to see if I can solve it on my own, and I GOT STUCK AGAIN!

Thanks for the review reminder.

Yup that's the book, except I'm using the fifth edition instead of the sixth.

The book's title is "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics, Volume 2, by Serway and Beichner".

1. What is the concept of electric field and how is it related to the zero point?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force exerted by electric charges on other charges. The zero point of an electric field is the location where the net force on a charged particle is zero. This means that at the zero point, the electric field is balanced and there is no overall force acting on the charged particle.

2. How is the zero point of an electric field determined?

The zero point of an electric field can be determined by analyzing the spatial distribution of electric charges and their respective strengths. This can be done using mathematical equations such as Coulomb's Law or by using graphical representations, such as electric field lines.

3. What factors can affect the location of the zero point in an electric field?

The location of the zero point in an electric field can be affected by the number and distribution of electric charges, as well as the strength of these charges. Other factors that can affect the location of the zero point include the presence of conductors or insulators in the electric field and the overall geometry of the electric field.

4. Can the zero point of an electric field change?

Yes, the zero point of an electric field can change if the factors affecting its location change. For example, if the number or distribution of electric charges in the field changes, the location of the zero point can also change. Additionally, if the strength of the charges changes, the zero point may also shift.

5. Why is it important to determine the zero point of an electric field?

Determining the zero point of an electric field is important because it helps us understand the behavior and interactions of electric charges in a given system. It also allows us to predict the movement of charged particles and the distribution of electric fields in different scenarios, which is crucial in many scientific and technological applications.