Electric dipole charges/Electric Field

In summary, the electric field at a distant point along the x-axis due to an electric dipole is given by E_{x}=\frac{4k_{e}qa}{x^3}, where x is the distance from the dipole and a is the distance between the two charges in the dipole. This can be derived using the electric field equation and taking into account the vector nature of the electric field.
AdKo

Homework Statement

Two point charges likes those in the figure below are called an electric dipole. Show that the electric field at a distant point along the x-axis is given by [tex]E_{x}=\frac{4k_{e}qa}{x^3} [/tex]
Figure: http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=58ag9.png

Homework Equations

Electric field equation: [tex] E=\frac{k_{e}q}{r^2}[/tex]
Anyothers?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure of how to apply the electric field equation to this problem (if it is even going to be used). I'm unfamiliar with electric dipoles and certaintly haven't been dealing with the electric fields of them. Could someone give me a hint as to where I should start on this problem? I appreciate it, thanks!

P.s. I think that this may be in relation with this problem: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=62789 but I'm unsure of what they mean and why the distance on the bottom of the fraction is cubed.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the right equation to use. The "r" in the equation means the distance between the charge and the point you are looking at. On your picture, put a point out somewhere on the x-axis at a distance x. What is the distance between each charge and that point?
The electric field is a vector quantity, so you have to sum the relevant components at x due to each charge.

(You'll see how the x^3 comes in later when you make use of the fact that it is at a "distant" point.)

Well, at point x the positive charge on the right creates a field kq/(x-a)^2, this field is directed in the right direction. The negative charge creates a field of magnitude kq/(x+a)^2, and this field is pointed to the left. To get the net field, subtract the field created by negative charge from the field created by the positive charge: (kq/(x-a)^2)-(kq/(x+a)^2). After some algebraic manipulations you should get: 4axkq/(x^2-a^2)^2. Since x is large compared to 'a', the 'a' in the denominator can be ignored, so you get: 4axkq/(x^2)^2, after some minor manipulations you get: 4akq/x^3.

Gotcha! Thanks!

What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges that are separated by a small distance. This separation creates a dipole moment, which is a measure of the strength of the dipole. Electric dipoles can be found in molecules and atoms, and they play an important role in understanding the behavior of electric fields.

How are electric dipole charges calculated?

The magnitude of an electric dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of one of the charges by the distance between them. The direction of the dipole moment is from the negative charge to the positive charge. Mathematically, this can be represented as P = qd, where P is the dipole moment, q is the magnitude of the charge, and d is the distance between the charges.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where a charged particle will experience a force. It is created by electric charges and can be either attractive or repulsive. The strength of the electric field is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

How are electric fields created by electric dipoles?

Electric dipoles create electric fields by aligning themselves with an external electric field. The positive charge of the dipole will be attracted to the negative side of the external field, and the negative charge will be attracted to the positive side. This creates a net force on the dipole and causes it to align with the external field.

What are some real-world applications of electric dipoles and electric fields?

Electric dipoles and electric fields have many practical applications, such as in electronic devices like capacitors and transistors. They are also used in medical equipment, such as MRI machines, to create images of the body. Electric fields are also used in particle accelerators and in the production of electricity through generators.