Cell Membrane Electric Field

In summary, the cell membrane has a potential difference of 0.0730 V due to the negative and positive charges on its inner and outer surfaces, respectively. The thickness of the membrane is 8.22E-9 m. To calculate the magnitude of the electric field in the membrane, the equation E=8.99E9(1.6E-19)/(8.22E-9)^2 can be used, where E is the electric field, V is the potential difference, and d is the thickness of the membrane.
Boozehound
The inner and outer surfaces of a cell membrane carry a negative and positive charge, respectively. Because of these charges, a potential difference of about 0.0730 V exists across the membrane. The thickness of the membrane is 8.22E-9 m. What is the magnitude of the electric field in the membrane?

so i took .0730V and multiplied it by 1.60E-19C to get an answer in joules. i ended up getting 1.168E-20J. i then took that and divided it by .0730V to get an answer in coulombs. and i got 1.6E-19C for that. then i took my answers and plugged them into the equation. E=8.99E9(1.6E-19)/(8.22E-9)^2. then the final answer i got was . and i punched it in and it was wrong. i don't know if i am using the wrong formulas. most likely that's the case. so if you see something I am doing wrong and can point me in the right direction that would be a great help. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
wait, too hard, and I'm thinking youre confused re maybe the notion of a test charge. I think, iirc, you just need to treat this as a ccapacitor which relates E,V, and thickness.

Hello! I can provide some clarification on your calculations. First, it is important to note that the electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). So, to find the magnitude of the electric field in the membrane, we need to divide the potential difference by the thickness of the membrane (in meters). This will give us the electric field in units of V/m.

So, using your values, the electric field in the membrane would be calculated as follows:

Electric field = (0.0730 V) / (8.22E-9 m) = 8.88E6 V/m

This means that the electric field in the membrane has a magnitude of 8.88 million volts per meter. This is a very strong electric field, which is necessary for many cellular processes to occur.

I hope this helps clarify your calculations. Keep up the good work in your studies of science!

1. What is the cell membrane electric field?

The cell membrane electric field is the electrical potential difference that exists across the cell membrane, which separates the inside of the cell from the outside environment. It is created by the uneven distribution of ions, such as sodium and potassium, across the membrane.

2. How is the cell membrane electric field generated?

The cell membrane electric field is generated through the action of ion channels and pumps, which regulate the movement of ions in and out of the cell. These channels and pumps create an imbalance of ions, resulting in a difference in electrical charge across the membrane.

3. What is the role of the cell membrane electric field in cellular processes?

The cell membrane electric field plays a crucial role in various cellular processes, such as cell signaling, nutrient uptake, and cell movement. It also helps maintain the cell's internal environment and enables the transmission of electrical signals between cells.

4. How is the cell membrane electric field measured?

The cell membrane electric field can be measured using techniques such as patch clamping, which involves attaching a small glass pipette to the cell membrane and recording the electrical activity. Other methods include voltage-sensitive dyes and microelectrode arrays.

5. What factors can affect the cell membrane electric field?

The cell membrane electric field can be influenced by various factors, such as changes in ion concentrations, temperature, and the presence of certain drugs or toxins. Additionally, alterations in the structure or function of ion channels and pumps can also impact the cell membrane electric field.