Schrödinger eq. with 3D spherical potential

This means that u(r) behaves exponentially as r-> inf and for bound states, it will approach a finite value at infinity.In summary, the conversation is about someone preparing for a quantum mechanics exam and needing help with a question about the radial Schrödinger equation. The question involves the behavior of the effective potential as r approaches infinity for bound states. The answer is that the potential goes to zero and the effective potential becomes equal to the original potential, causing u(r) to behave exponentially and approach a finite value at infinity for bound states.
maethros
Hello!

I'm trying to solve some old exam exercises to prepare for my qm exam next week.
Now I got a question I don't have any idea how to solve it. I hope somebody can help me:

"The radial Schrödinger equation in the case of a 3D spherical symmetric potential V(r) can be written in the form

-h^2/(2*m) * d^2u/dr^2 + [V(r) + (l*(l+1) / r^2)]*u = E*u

where u(r) = r*R(r). If V is attractive and vanishes exponentially at infinity, how does u(r) behave asymptotically for bound states?"

Thanks for helping!

Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say about the effective potential as [tex]r\rightarrow \infty[/tex]? That should give you a pretty good idea of where to start. Also, I think this belongs in Homework Help.

as r-> inf, the potential goes to zero and the second term in the effective potential goes rapidly to zero (as there is a r^2)

1. What is the Schrödinger equation with 3D spherical potential?

The Schrödinger equation with 3D spherical potential is a mathematical formula used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a spherical potential. It takes into account the position, energy, and time evolution of a quantum system, and is essential in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.

2. How is the 3D spherical potential represented in the Schrödinger equation?

In the Schrödinger equation, the 3D spherical potential is represented as a function of the distance from the center of the potential. This potential function takes into account the attractive or repulsive force between the particle and the center of the potential.

3. What are the key components of the Schrödinger equation with 3D spherical potential?

The key components of the Schrödinger equation with 3D spherical potential are the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system, and the wave function, which describes the state of the system. The potential function and mass of the particle are also important components.

4. How is the Schrödinger equation with 3D spherical potential solved?

The Schrödinger equation with 3D spherical potential is solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables and perturbation theory. The solutions to the equation are the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian operator, and the corresponding eigenvalues represent the energy levels of the system.

5. What are the applications of the Schrödinger equation with 3D spherical potential?

The Schrödinger equation with 3D spherical potential has many applications in quantum mechanics, including in the study of atomic and molecular systems. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and precision measurements.