Flow Rate & Velocity: Solution Found

In summary, the problem is to calculate the velocity of fluid flow given a flow rate and pipe diameter. The correct formula for this is velocity = flow rate / cross sectional area, which results in a velocity of 70.7 ms^-1. However, there is a typo in the second formula, velocity = 4 * flow rate / (pi * (pipe diameter)^2), which should not have "pi" squared. This formula also gives the correct answer of 17.68 ms^-1.
grscott_2000
Question solved

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
grscott_2000 said:
The problem..
I have been given a flow rate in units of m^3 per second. I also know the diameter of the pipe the fluid is flowing in meters.

I have to calculate the velocity of the flow and give the answer in units of ms^-1

Relevant values..
pipe diameter = 0.6m
flow rate = 5 m^3 per second

My answer...

I know that

flow rate = cross sectional area x velocity

So all things considered I should just be able to rearrange the equation to give

velocity = flow rate / area = 5 / (pi * .15 * .15) = 70.7 ms-1
No, if the diameter of the pipe is .6 m then its radius is .6/2= .3 m.

You should have 5/(pi* .3* .3)= 17.7 m/s.

Second point...

I also know that

velocity = 4 * flow rate / (pi * (pipe diameter)^2)
Yes, this is exactly the same thing: diameter= 2*radius so (diameter)^2= 4*radius. Canceling the "4" in the numerator and denominator gives exactly what you have above.

Which gives a completely different answer...

(4 * 5) / ((pi * 0.6)^2) = 17.68 ms-1
Although you have the correct answer, there is a typo on the left: "pi" should not be squared.

I would very much appreciate anyone who can help me out with this apparent annomily. I tend to think that the second point is correct because I can plug various values into it, rearrange etc and still get a sensible answer

I am pleased to hear that a solution has been found for the question of flow rate and velocity. These two parameters are crucial in understanding and predicting fluid behavior, and their accurate measurement is essential in various industries and fields of study.

I am curious to know what the solution entails and how it was discovered. Was it through experimental research, mathematical modeling, or a combination of both? Additionally, I would be interested in learning about the potential applications of this solution and how it can be used to improve our understanding of fluid dynamics.

Overall, I believe that the discovery of a solution for flow rate and velocity is a significant advancement in the field of fluid mechanics and has the potential to benefit various industries and fields of study. I look forward to learning more about this solution and its implications in the future.

1. What is flow rate and velocity?

Flow rate and velocity are two measurements used to describe the movement of a fluid, such as water, through a specific area over a specific period of time. Flow rate is the amount of fluid that passes through a given area in a specific amount of time, while velocity is the speed at which the fluid is moving.

2. How is flow rate and velocity calculated?

Flow rate can be calculated by dividing the volume of fluid that passes through a specific area by the time it takes to pass through that area. Velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance the fluid travels by the time it takes to travel that distance.

3. Why is it important to measure flow rate and velocity?

Measuring flow rate and velocity is important in many industries, including engineering, environmental science, and agriculture. It allows for the monitoring and control of fluid movement, which can impact the efficiency, safety, and environmental impact of various processes.

4. What factors can affect flow rate and velocity?

Flow rate and velocity can be affected by various factors, such as the size and shape of the area the fluid is passing through, the viscosity of the fluid, and any obstacles or changes in the terrain that the fluid encounters.

5. How can flow rate and velocity be optimized?

To optimize flow rate and velocity, it is important to understand the specific conditions and factors that affect them. This can involve adjusting the size or shape of the area the fluid is passing through, changing the properties of the fluid, or implementing strategies to reduce obstacles or changes in terrain. Computer simulations and experiments can also be used to optimize flow rate and velocity in specific scenarios.