Do you unfriend people on Facebook/Myspace?

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
In summary: I refuse to mention because it is irrelevant... is very popular among teenagers and young adults.In summary, people who unfriend people on Facebook/Myspace typically do it because they start to dislike the person, not because the person has done anything wrong.
Simfish
Gold Member
Do you "unfriend" people on Facebook/Myspace?

For any particular reason at all?

If you start to dislike someone, then do you necessarily unfriend that person?

- I know a lot of people who used to like me but then started to dislike me, but none of them have unfriended me (even though they are occasionally reminded of my presence).

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nope. Seems childish.

Done it, regretted it, etcetera etcetera

I've never been to either place, and have no intention of doing so in the future, so the question is irrelevant to me.

No, not at all. I can't see any reason to do so.

I only joined it two days ago so no not yet :smile:

Mind you I only joined it to play some geography game, so I'm not exactly using it to meet and greet anyway.

Forums are better for conversations IMO.

Aren't "friends" lists really just "people I know" lists?

I don't use those websites, but I'm the type of person who would keep the list small to avoid having to spend time scanning it.

yea i agree with schrodinger, forums are a much better place

I just restrict people from seeing my stuff.

Um... a lot of people are Facebook fanatics, like my mom and sister. And they do block/delete people. They're drama queens and they like the drama that comes from it. They actually have facebook nights where they hang out and play on facebook for like hours. Just looking at everyone's stuff. My ex-gf blocked them because my mom and sister would talk **** about them. Oh, and they have no idea we broke up. I'll probably never tell them until I finish school and move far far far away.

I avoid facebook in general. I only message my current and real friends.

JasonRox said:
I just restrict people from seeing my stuff.

Um... a lot of people are Facebook fanatics, like my mom and sister. And they do block/delete people. They're drama queens and they like the drama that comes from it. They actually have facebook nights where they hang out and play on facebook for like hours. Just looking at everyone's stuff. My ex-gf blocked them because my mom and sister would talk **** about them. Oh, and they have no idea we broke up. I'll probably never tell them until I finish school and move far far far away.

This pretty much describes every girl who goes to my school (and a few guys.)

I stay away from those types of sites.

Alkatran said:
Aren't "friends" lists really just "people I know" lists?
More like "people" lists.

What's this "Myspace?" I think I'm the only person on the planet to have never visited that site.

Evo said:
I stay away from those types of sites.

suree... hey Evo what's your myspace? pm me :biggrin:

FredGarvin said:
What's this "Myspace?" I think I'm the only person on the planet to have never visited that site.
Be afraid, be very afraid. Every teenager on the planet is on that site.

FredGarvin said:

I'll tell you this much: If it was a country in the natural world, it would be the 11th biggest in population size. Between Mexico and Japan, I believe.

I detest these sites. I will stay in touch with the people I want to stay in touch with without the help of these sites. All these sites help you do is to stay in touch with the people you never want to see again.

The other problem I have with them are those people who rather have someone post on their facebook wall instead of calling them or sending them an email! C'mon!:rolleyes::rofl:

Evo said:
Be afraid, be very afraid. Every teenager on the planet is on that site.

Well my dog is 14, in dog years, and loves her myspace. Yes its hard to keep teens away from it. She has 80 doggy friends there. Don't worry I monitor every thing she does on line.:approve:

I remember my sister telling me that she used to unfriend her boyfriend every time they got in a fight. :rofl:

I unfriend people regularly. I hate when people add me and then never talk to me. I don't like just being another friend on someone's list. I like to keep my friends list small.

And i hate myspace anyway.

when someone is unfriended on facebook, do they get a notification?

FredGarvin said:

lolzzzz! count me with you. i too have never visited any community site.:yuck: i hate them

I hate such sites which are too public and it is sad that people give away so much personal information on such sites. I know plenty of people who are addicted to sites like MySpace, Facebook and have a compulsive/impulsive desire to log into their accounts several times a day. In my country, a similar community site called orkut.com is doing the same thing and virtually everyone I know of is a member on it. I have been consciously avoiding joining these sites mainly because I feel it is really a meaningless way to keep in touch with people.

orkut sucks. i agree with you

1. Do you unfriend people on Facebook/Myspace based on their political views?

As a scientist, I do not personally use social media platforms like Facebook or Myspace. However, in general, it is up to each individual to decide who they want to be connected with on social media. Some people may choose to unfriend others based on political views, while others may not. There is no right or wrong answer, as it ultimately depends on personal preference and comfort level.

2. Is it rude to unfriend someone on Facebook/Myspace?

Again, as a scientist, I cannot speak for personal social media habits. However, it is important to remember that social media is a personal space and each individual has the right to choose who they want to interact with. If someone feels uncomfortable or wants to limit their social media connections, it is not necessarily rude to unfriend someone. It is important to communicate openly and respectfully with others about any changes in social media connections.

3. Can you unfriend someone on Facebook/Myspace without them knowing?

In most cases, yes, you can unfriend someone on Facebook or Myspace without them knowing. However, if the person regularly checks their friend list or if you have a mutual friend, they may notice that you are no longer connected. Additionally, Facebook has a feature called "mutual friends" that shows when two people have friends in common, so they may see that you are no longer connected through that feature.

4. How do you decide who to unfriend on Facebook/Myspace?

It ultimately depends on the individual and their personal criteria for social media connections. Some people may choose to unfriend based on inactivity, while others may unfriend based on personal interactions or differences in views. It is important to remember that social media connections are not the same as real-life relationships, and it is okay to limit or change those connections as needed.

5. Is it necessary to unfriend someone on Facebook/Myspace or can you just unfollow them?

Unfollowing someone on Facebook or Myspace means that you will no longer see their posts in your newsfeed, but you will still be connected as friends. Unfriending someone means that you will no longer be connected on the platform at all. Whether to unfriend or unfollow someone depends on personal preference and the nature of the relationship. If someone's posts are causing discomfort or distress, it may be necessary to unfriend them. However, if you still want to maintain a connection but do not want to see their posts, unfollowing may be a better option.