How Much Time to Post Before Computer Logs Off Automatically?

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
In summary, the computer logs you off automatically if you post for long periods of time. To avoid this, you can copy and paste your post into a word document and then submit it as a reply.
Imparcticle
This is SO annoying!

How many minutes do you get to post something before the evil computer logs you off automatically?

Sometimes, when I put up long posts (with comments on almost every line in someone's post) and try to post them when I'm done, the compter gets a MAJOR attitude going. It makes me log on again PLUS deletes that long post I spent so much time and thought on. GRRR...it gets me in a bad mood right away.
But I have a solution. I copy/paste my post on Word Doc and then press "submit reply".
None the less I'd like to know how much time I have to post something.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh yeah, and I can't view the "Who's Online" thing. I find it very amusing to watch myself being cookied. :rolleyes: (simple pleasures).
The evil computer says in its evil writing on its evil little screen in its evil little sign thinggy:
vBulletin Message

SquareItSalamander, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
POSTIVELY EVIL I TELL YOU! I can live without watching myself being cookied, but I'd like to know why I can't.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

BTW--->
This has nothing to do with my post, but did you notice that "Evil" spelled backwards is "live"? whoa, creepy! :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It logs you off of PF? Must be some setting you have, because it doesn't log me off until I decide to get rid of my cookies. Which is pretty often, since I like to eat them.

cookiemonster

LOL! cookiemonster,
But if you get rid of your cookies (the silicon generated type), wouldn't cause problems with the Proxy (whatever a Proxy is; it says there'll be problems on the options section in the form you fill out to be a member @ pfs if you choose to not have cookies)?
Anywho, this sort of thing always happens to SquareIt when it comes to technical computer stuff. Something always goes wrong...

They all come back when I log in again anyway, so no harm done. And it gets rid of all the crap that other people who use the computer throw on it.

And if I remember correctly, the proxy's how you get from your computer to the intraweb. But I don't know how computers work, just how to fix 'em.

cookiemonster

lol, you know how to fixe'em but not how they work? Interesting.

What kinda crap would that be?

It erases everything you wrote? When I get an error (white page because I can't connect to PF), I just click back and my entire post is there.

If you're having problems with it logging you out, go to internet options (if you use IE), go to the privacy tab, make sure it is set no higher than medium. Any higher than medium, and you'll encounter problems with not being able to login and things like that.

PF will log you out automatically after 20 minutes. If you need to spend more than 20 minutes composing a response, do so in a text editor, and then paste it into the site's reply box.

- Warren

Most of the time, I don't even want to know what kind of crap it is. I just get rid of it...

Yeah, I really don't have much of an idea of how computers and stuff work. I could probably guess and get pretty close, though. I've just had to live with 2 people that have a bad habit of turning sophisticated computers into hunks of metal.

Does it really, Chroot? I run off and do stuff all the time and leave PF up and I never have to log in again...

cookiemonster

You may not have to actually type your password in again, if you have selected for pf to remember them for you -- you are automatically logged back in. However, after 20 minutes of inactivity your session expires and you are indeed logged off, whether you realize it or not.

If you open a reply screen to type in a new post, and then wait 20 minutes, the page still looks the same, but the server has expired your session. When you click the post button, you'll get an error.

- Warren

Next time if you think you've been inactive for a long time, do a simple thing to save your post:

CTRL + A (select all)
CTRL + C (copy)

so if something happens, you can simply do CTRL + V (paste) and have it all back again :)

1. How can I change the time before my computer automatically logs off?

You can change the time before your computer automatically logs off by adjusting the sleep or power settings in your computer's control panel. This will vary depending on your operating system.

2. Why does my computer log off automatically?

There are several reasons why your computer may log off automatically, including power saving settings, inactivity, or security measures such as automatic screen lock.

3. Can I disable the automatic log off feature?

Yes, you can disable the automatic log off feature by adjusting your computer's power settings or by using third-party software. However, it is not recommended as it can decrease the security of your device.

4. How do I know how much time is set before my computer logs off?

You can check the time set before your computer logs off by going into your computer's power settings or by checking the screen saver settings. It is usually set to a default time of 15 minutes.

5. Will my work be saved before my computer logs off?

It depends on the settings and programs you are using. Some programs have an auto-save feature that will save your work before the computer logs off, while others may not. It is always best to save your work frequently to avoid losing any important data.