How Do You Calculate Theta for Vector Sum Using Component Method?

• Thread starter AraProdieur
  • Start date
In summary, the vector sum R1 has a magnitude of 11.5784 m and a direction of northeast. The angle theta 1 of the vector sum is 101.348 degrees. The angle theta 2 of the resulting vector is 30.4247 degrees. The magnitude of the vector difference R2 is 30.4247 and the angle theta 3 of the resulting vector is 101.348 degrees.
AraProdieur
Use the method of components to find the magnitude and direction of the vector sum R1, where R1 = A + B. The vector A = 15.2 m at an angle alpha = 180 degrees from the positive horizontal axis, and vector B = 17.2 m at an angle Beta = 41.3 degrees from the positive horizontal axis.
Answer= 11.5784

So far I have answered the first three parts, but am stuck on looking for the angle of theta 2; I don't understand this part.

Part 2= What is the angle theta 1 from the positive horizontal axis of the vector sum, R1? 101.348 degrees

Part 3= What What is the magnitude of the vector difference R2 where R2 = A-B? 30.4247

The following are the parts that I don't understand.

Part 4= What is the angle theta 2 of the resulting vector?

Part 5= What is thet magnitude of the vector difference R3 where R 3 = B - A? Answer= 30.4247

Part 6= What is the angle theta 3 of the resulting vector?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Parts 4 and 6 are asking for the angles from the horizontal of the vectors found in the previous problems. Can you answer 5? If you were able to do 1 and 3, you should be able to do 5. If you can, you should also have the components of these vectors.

HINT: Can you use these components to find the angles?

Last edited:
G01 said:
Parts 4 and 6 are asking for the angles from the horizontal of the vectors found in the previous problems. Can you answer 4 and 6? If you were able to do 1 and 3, you should be able to do 4 and 6. If you can, you should also have the components of these vectors.

HINT: Can you use these components to find the angles?

Yes, but in those parts, I used the law of sines and cosines, I didn't really use the components. But I do know the components although I don't know how to utilize them correctly. I'm also familiar with the usage of inverse tan, but other than that, I don't know how to do anything else with that.

The problem statement was to use the component method, not the law of cosines, right?

If you used the component method, you'd have the components for the vector you would be trying to find. Using these x and y components, you should be able to find the angle the vector makes with the horizontal. Remember that a vector makes a right triangle with its components in which it is the hypotenuse. Can you use trig to find the angle using this triangle if you knew the components?

1. What does "Require Much Needed Help" mean?

"Require Much Needed Help" is a phrase that typically means someone is in need of assistance or support in a specific situation. It suggests that the person is struggling and requires additional help to overcome a challenge or complete a task.

2. How do you know when you need to ask for "Require Much Needed Help"?

You may need to ask for "Require Much Needed Help" when you are facing a problem or challenge that you cannot solve on your own. This could be due to a lack of resources, knowledge, or skills. It is important to recognize when you need help and to reach out for it in a timely manner.

3. What are some common situations where people may need "Require Much Needed Help"?

People may need "Require Much Needed Help" in a variety of situations, such as dealing with a difficult personal issue, facing a complex work project, or experiencing a health crisis. It can also be necessary in situations where someone is struggling with mental health issues, addiction, or financial problems.

4. How can asking for "Require Much Needed Help" benefit someone?

Asking for "Require Much Needed Help" can benefit someone in many ways. It can provide them with support and guidance from others who have more experience or knowledge in a particular area. It can also alleviate stress and prevent burnout by sharing the workload and responsibilities. Additionally, asking for help can lead to personal growth and learning from others.

5. What are some ways to ask for "Require Much Needed Help" effectively?

To ask for "Require Much Needed Help" effectively, it is important to be clear and specific about what you need assistance with. It can also be helpful to reach out to someone who has the necessary expertise or resources to help you. Be open and honest about your struggles and be willing to listen to and accept the advice or support offered by others.