Fiber Optic Refraction: Calculating Light Ray Distance and Reflections

In summary, the question is about calculating the distance a light ray travels between successive reflections off the sides of a light fiber with an index of refraction of 1.6 and a diameter of 10^-4mm, given an angle of incidence of 15 degrees. The solution involves using trigonometry and the formula for finding the hypotenuse of a right triangle. The final answer is approximately 3.9*10^-4mm.
kelvin_ng
Question:

A ray of light enters a light fiber at an angle of 15degree with the long axis of the fiber. Calculate the distance the light ray travels between succesive reflections off the sides of the fiber has an index of refraction 1.6 and is 10[tex]^{-4}[/tex]mm in diameter.

Physics news on Phys.org
the answer given is L = 3.9 x 10[tex]^{-4}[/tex] m.

what is the solution to this question?
I just can't get to the answer.

is it using n = sine i/sine r or n = 1 / sine c?
and is it i = 90degree - 15degree = 75degree?
i don't know actually what the question mean by.
Can someone help me?

kelvin_ng said:
Can someone help me?

I think index of refraction = sin(angle of incidence)/sin(angle of refraction)

kelvin_ng said:
Can someone help me?

I think you need to use 75 degrees.

but then i get the angle of refraction is 37.14 degree.
then what else i could do to get L = 3.9 x 10[tex]^{-4}[/tex] m ?

I don't think the angle of reflection has anything to do with the refractive index, if total internal reflection takes places.

"A ray of light enters a light fiber at an angle of 15degree with the long axis of the fiber. Calculate the distance the light ray travels between succesive reflections off the sides of the fiber has an index of refraction 1.6 and is 10^-4mm in diameter."

I get an answer 3.7320508075688776*10^-4 using a computer.

We find that tan(incidence)=diameter/(distance between each reflection)

Therefore tan(pi/12)=10^-4/x

Regards,
Sleek.

Last edited:
lolx, i know what to do now.
I just get the answer.
Just by using trigonometri. 10^-4 / sin 15 to find the hipotenus.

Ops, I think i blundered. I found the length of fiber traveled by light instead. Yes, you have to use sine. Answer come out to be 3.86*10^-4 ~ 3.9*10^-4mm. Sorry about that.

No need to sorry.. ^^
Is very nice that u guyz is tryin to help.

1. What is fiber optic refraction?

Fiber optic refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a material with a different density, such as a fiber optic cable. This allows the light to travel efficiently through the cable without significant loss, making it an important component in telecommunications and data transmission.

2. How does fiber optic refraction work?

When light enters a fiber optic cable, it travels through the core of the cable, which has a higher density than the surrounding cladding. This causes the light to be constantly reflected off the walls of the core, effectively trapping it inside and allowing it to travel long distances without significant loss of signal.

3. What are the benefits of fiber optic refraction?

Fiber optic refraction offers several benefits, including high bandwidth capabilities, immunity to electromagnetic interference, and the ability to transmit data over long distances without signal degradation. It also allows for faster and more reliable data transmission compared to traditional copper cables.

4. What are the different types of fiber optic refraction?

There are two main types of fiber optic refraction: single mode and multi-mode. Single mode fiber has a smaller core, allowing for less dispersion and higher bandwidth, making it ideal for long-distance transmissions. Multi-mode fiber has a larger core, allowing for multiple modes of light to travel through it, making it more suitable for shorter distances.

5. How is fiber optic refraction used in everyday life?

Fiber optic refraction plays a crucial role in everyday life, from powering internet connections to facilitating phone calls and streaming videos. It is also used in medical imaging, industrial and military applications, and even in some household appliances such as DVD players and remote controls. Its reliable and efficient transmission capabilities make it an essential technology in modern society.