Explain to me the parallel axis theorem

In summary: We know that I = I_cm + M(d^2), so in this case I = (1/12)m_bar(L^2) + m_bar(L/6)^2 = (1/12)m_bar(L^2) + (1/36)m_bar(L^2) = (3/36)m_bar(L^2) = (1/12)m_bar(L^2)Therefore, the moment of inertia of the bar about the pivot is (1/12)m_bar(L^2). This is different from the moment of inertia of the bar and point mass system, which would be (1/12)m_bar(L^2) + m_point(l^2). The (d^2) term takes into account
jaded18
hi there. can anyone please explain to me the parallel axis theorem? the parallel axis theorem states that I = I_cm + M(d^2) where d = distance from the center of mass axis to the parallel axis and M is the total mass of the object. The rotational inertia of a thin rod about the center is = (1/12)M(L^2) and the rotational inertia of a thin rod about the end is = (1/3)M(L^2). Here is a picture I need you to use to explain to me the parallel axis theorem. i just don't see how inertia of the bar is (1.33m_bar)(l^2)/12

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1003167/20/136675C.jpg

i will understand if no one will be able to help me.. thanks for reading :)

Physics news on Phys.org
jaded18 said:
hi there. can anyone please explain to me the parallel axis theorem? the parallel axis theorem states that I = I_cm + M(d^2) where d = distance from the center of mass axis to the parallel axis and M is the total mass of the object. The rotational inertia of a thin rod about the center is = (1/12)M(L^2) and the rotational inertia of a thin rod about the end is = (1/3)M(L^2). Here is a picture I need you to use to explain to me the parallel axis theorem. i just don't see how inertia of the bar is (1.33m_bar)(l^2)/12

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1003167/20/136675C.jpg

i will understand if no one will be able to help me.. thanks for reading :)
I_cm for the bar is as you noted. To detremine the I of the bar about the pivot point, the 'd' to use in the parallel axis theorem is the distance from the cm of the bar to the pivot point. What is that distance? The result as you indicated is the I of the bar about the pivot, not the I of the bar and point mass system.

I_cm = (1/12)(m_bar)(L^2) right?
M = m_bar right?
so what's this (d^2) thing. if i take the answer (which i don't understand how it was figured out) and subtract I_cm, then i get (m_bar)(l^2)/36, and I guess this is what that M(d^2) term is then ... but where the heck did this d=1/6 come from then??

i just want to know how they got the answer (1.33m_bar)(l^2)/12 and I know that this is the I of the bar about the pivot as this is different from the I of the bar and point mass system.

jaded18 said:
I_cm = (1/12)(m_bar)(L^2) right?
M = m_bar right?
so what's this (d^2) thing. if i take the answer (which i don't understand how it was figured out) and subtract I_cm, then i get (m_bar)(l^2)/36, and I guess this is what that M(d^2) term is then ... but where the heck did this d=1/6 come from then??

i just want to know how they got the answer (1.33m_bar)(l^2)/12 and I know that this is the I of the bar about the pivot as this is different from the I of the bar and point mass system.
assuming the length of the bar is L , the center of the bar is at L/2 from the left end, and the fulcrum pivot is L/3 from the left end. Thus the center is (L/2 -L/3) from the pivot, where L/2 - L/3 = L/6. that is the 'd'.

thanks lots for clearing that up ..

Distance of the cm of the bar from the left end = L/2
Distance of the pivot from the left end = L/3
Distance between the cm and pivot = L/2 - L/3 = L/6

Now determine MI about the pivot.

1. What is the parallel axis theorem?

The parallel axis theorem is a principle in physics that explains how the moment of inertia of an object changes when it rotates around an axis that is parallel to its original axis of rotation.

2. How does the parallel axis theorem work?

The parallel axis theorem states that the moment of inertia of an object is equal to the moment of inertia about its center of mass plus the product of its mass and the square of the distance between the two parallel axes of rotation.

3. Why is the parallel axis theorem important?

The parallel axis theorem is important because it allows us to calculate the moment of inertia of an object when it rotates around an axis that is not its center of mass. This is useful in many applications, such as calculating the rotational energy of a spinning object or the stability of a rotating system.

4. Can you give an example of the parallel axis theorem in action?

One example of the parallel axis theorem in action is a spinning top. The top has a higher moment of inertia when it spins around its tip (a point that is not its center of mass) compared to when it spins around its center of mass. This is because the distance between the two axes of rotation (tip and center of mass) is greater than zero, and thus, according to the parallel axis theorem, the moment of inertia is increased.

5. How is the parallel axis theorem related to the moment of inertia?

The parallel axis theorem is directly related to the moment of inertia. It explains how the moment of inertia of an object changes when the axis of rotation is shifted. This theorem is also used to derive the moment of inertia formulas for different shapes, such as cylinders, spheres, and rods.