Physics question - object released at equillibrium position of spring

In summary, a 0.20 kg ball attached to a vertical spring with k = 28 N/M is released from rest from the unstretched equilibrium position. The goal is to determine how far the ball falls before being brought to a momentary stop by the spring, neglecting air resistance. Two methods were attempted, with the first method using the equation Fg = Fspring and the second method using energy conservation. The first method yielded an answer of x = mg/k, while the second method yielded an answer of x = 2mg/k. The correct method is the second one, as the first method only applies during the stretched equilibrium position of the spring.
shadowysun
Hello everybody,

I am having a lot of trouble with the following question and would appreciate it if someone showed me the correct way to do it. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Homework Statement

A 0.20 kg ball attached to a vertical spring (k = 28 N/M) is released from rest from the unstretched equilibrium position of the spring. Determine how far the ball falls, under negligible air resitance, before being brought to a momentary stop by the spring.

So,
m = 0.20 kg
k = 28 N/M
x = ?

Homework Equations

Fspring = kx
Fg = mg
EE = 1/2 kx^2
EG = mg (delta h)

The Attempt at a Solution

My friend and I both attempted to solve this problem. We used different methods and obtained different answers, but neither of us know which answer is right and why the other is wrong.

Here is the 1st way we did it:
When the ball is brought to a momentary stop, Fnet = 0, so
Fg = Fspring
mg = kx
x = mg/k

And here is the 2nd way:
Since energy is conserved,
Ebefore = Eafter
EG lost = EE gained
mg(delta h) = 1/2 kx^2

delta h = x (since the ball falls the same distance that the spring stretches), therefore
mgx = 1/2 kx^2
x = 2mg/k

But this is twice as large as the solution obtained using the first method. Am I overlooking something in one of the methods? Which method is correct?

Again, thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
shadowysun said:
Here is the 1st way we did it:
When the ball is brought to a momentary stop, Fnet = 0, so
Fnet = 0 means that the acceleration is zero, not the speed.

x = mg/k is true only during stretched equilibrium position of the spring. Therefore 2nd method is correct.

Omg. I can't believe I made such a dumb mistake >_<. Thank you so much for your help!

1. What is the equilibrium position of a spring?

The equilibrium position of a spring is the point where the spring is at rest and there is no net force acting on it. This is when the spring is neither compressed nor stretched.

2. How is the equilibrium position of a spring related to its potential energy?

The potential energy of a spring is at its minimum when the spring is at its equilibrium position. As the spring is compressed or stretched from this position, the potential energy increases.

3. What happens when an object is released at the equilibrium position of a spring?

When an object is released at the equilibrium position of a spring, it will remain at rest since there is no net force acting on it. However, if the object is displaced from this position, the spring will exert a restoring force on the object, causing it to oscillate.

4. How does the mass of the object affect its oscillation at the equilibrium position of a spring?

The mass of the object does not affect its oscillation at the equilibrium position of a spring. The spring's restoring force is proportional to the displacement of the object, not its mass.

5. Can an object be released at a different position on the spring and still reach the equilibrium position?

Yes, an object can be released at a different position on the spring and still reach the equilibrium position. As long as the object is released with no initial velocity and the spring is ideal, the object will oscillate between the equilibrium position and its released position.