Integrating \int \frac{x}{sqrt{x+3}}dx: Simple Integration Methods Explained

• Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, both substitution methods are valid and produce the same solution. However, there may be a typo in the first substitution where (u^2-3)2u should be (u^3-3)2u.
John O' Meara
Integrate [tex] \int \frac{x}{sqrt{x+3}}dx \\ [/tex]
(i) I can integrate this by letting U^2=x+3 => [tex] u=\sqrt{x+3} \ \mbox{ so } \ x=u^2-3 \ \mbox{and } \ dx=2udu \ \mbox{then the integral = } \ \int\frac{(u^2-3)2u}{u}du \\[/tex]
[tex] \ =2(\frac{u^3}{3}-3u) + C \\ \ = \ \frac{2}{3}(u^2-9) + C \ = \ \frac{2}{3}(x-6)\sqrt{x+3} +C \\ [/tex]
Or (ii) I can integrate above if I let u=x+3 => [tex] \ \frac{du}{dx}=1 \ \mbox{ therefore } \ du = dx \ \mbox{ and } \ x=u-3 \ \\[/tex]. [tex] \mbox{ then } = \ \int\frac{u-3}{u^{\frac{1}{2}} du \ = \ \int u^{\frac{1}{2}}du \ -\ 3 \int u^{\frac{-1}{2}} du \ = \ \frac{2}{3} u^{\frac{3}{2}} \ - \ 6u^{\frac{1}{2}} +C \ \\[/tex].[tex] \ = \ \frac{2}{3}(x+3)^{\frac{3}{2}} \ -6(x+3)^{\frac{1}{2}} + C\\[/tex]. Which is correct (i) or (ii), and why? Thanks alot.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The substitution is fine on the first one. But how does 2(u^3/3-3u) turn into (2/3)*(u^2-9)? The second one is fine.

So you are telling me that both substitutions are valid? That is answer (i) and (ii) are equal? It is a mis-print.

Indeed, both substitutions are valid. Sometimes there are several ways to come to a solution in doing integrals. One is often more preferable over the other due the length of the algebra involved. Practice is the only way to recognize the appropriate one. In your case both are equally usable.

The first solution (with a minor typo) can be rewritten as:

[tex]\frac{2}{3}\sqrt{x+3}\cdot (x-6)+C=\frac{2}{3}\sqrt{x+3}\cdot (x-9+3)+C[/tex]

Expanding this gives you the second solution, which is therefore proven to be the same.

Sometimes you need to adjust the integration constant, to show that two solutions are indeed the same, but not here.

There appears to be a mistake in the first substitution as Dick has pointed out. If that's printed in a textbook then it appears to be a misprint.

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

What are the different types of integration?

The two main types of integration are indefinite and definite integration. Indefinite integration involves finding the antiderivative of a function, while definite integration involves evaluating the antiderivative over a specific interval.

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the derivative of the integral of a function is equal to the original function. In other words, integration and differentiation are inverse operations.

What are the basic integration rules?

The basic integration rules include the power rule, constant rule, sum and difference rule, and substitution rule. These rules can be used to find the antiderivative of various functions.

How is integration used in real life?

Integration has various applications in real life, including in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to calculate areas, volumes, and probabilities, among other things.