Volume of a Sphere: Calculation & Explanation

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the volume of a sphere using integrals. The method of using infinitesimally thin circles with increasing and decreasing radius is incorrect and instead, the correct method is to integrate pi(r)^2 over the height of the hemisphere and then double it. It is also mentioned that Euclid used the term "circle" to refer to both the circumference and interior of a circle. Finally, the correct integral for finding the volume of a hemisphere is given as \int_{0}^{R}\pi{r}(z)^{2}dz, where z is the height and r(z) is the radius of the disk at that height.
mjordan2nd
I was just thinking about how you would calculate the volume of a sphere last night, and tried it thusly, using the logic that a sphere is nothing but a bunch of infinitesimally thin circles with increasing radius from 0 to r, and then from decreasing radius r to 0:

[tex] \int^{R}_{0} \pi r^{2}dr= \frac{1}{3} \pi R^{3}[/tex]

This, I thought should be one hemisphere, so I multiplied the result by 2, getting [tex]\frac{2}{3} \pi R^{3}[/tex]. This, of course, is not the volume of a sphere. Why did my method not work?

Physics news on Phys.org
The surface area of a sphere is 4(pi)r^2

you have the radii growing linearly, so you are getting (twice) the volume of a right circular cone of base radius R and height R.

it seems you should integrate something like pi(R^2 - y^2) as y grows from 0 to R. and then double it. i.e. the thin disc at height y has radius sqrt(R^2-y^2) by pythagoras.by the way euclid also used the word "circle" to refer both to the one dimensional circumference and the 2 dimensional interior of a circle, so the flap about that usage is historically unjustified.

What you calculated was the area below the function [tex]\pi r^2[/tex] above some axis.

I don't think you can find the volume of a sphere in under 3 integrals since you need to account for the change in x/y/z.

The integral will be [tex]\int_0^{2\pi}d\theta \int_0^{\pi}sin\phi d\phi \int_0^R r^2 dr[/tex]

Although it's a tripple integral since none of the limits of one variable depend on another variable you can treat it as the multiple of 3 integrals.
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}d\theta[/tex]
[tex]\int_0^{\pi}sin\phi d\phi[/tex]
[tex]\int_0^R r^2 dr[/tex]
After you multiply the results you should get the volume of the sphere [tex]\frac{4}{3}\pi R^3[/tex]

But clearly the starting integral was giving the area of a quadrant of the sphere?

Your proper integral should be, for the hemishere:
[tex]\int_{0}^{R}\pi{r}(z)^{2}dz[/tex]
where z is the variable dsenoting at which height along the axis you are, while r(z) is the radius of the disk at that height.

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the volume of a sphere is V = 4/3 * π * r^3, where V is the volume, π is the mathematical constant pi, and r is the radius of the sphere.

2. How is the volume of a sphere different from the volume of a cylinder or cone?

The volume of a sphere is different from the volume of a cylinder or cone because a sphere is a three-dimensional shape with a curved surface, while a cylinder and cone have flat circular bases. This means that the formula for calculating the volume of a sphere is different from the formulas for calculating the volume of a cylinder or cone.

3. Can the volume of a sphere be negative?

No, the volume of a sphere cannot be negative. The volume of a sphere is a measurement of space, and space cannot have a negative value.

4. How is the volume of a sphere related to its surface area?

The volume of a sphere and its surface area are related through the radius of the sphere. As the radius increases, the volume and surface area also increase. However, the surface area increases at a faster rate than the volume, meaning that as the sphere gets larger, its surface area increases more quickly than its volume.

5. Can the volume of a sphere be calculated without using pi?

No, the volume of a sphere cannot be calculated without using pi. The value of pi is an essential part of the formula for calculating the volume of a sphere, and without it, the calculation would be inaccurate. Pi is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, and it is necessary for calculating the volume of a sphere, which is a three-dimensional version of a circle.