What is a good book for learning about nuclear physics and radioactivity?

In summary: I just want to expand on the knwoledge that I have now. I think we have Krane's book in the Library as I am familiar with the front cover, I'll check it out.
_Mayday_
Hey, I am looking for a book related to physics, I need it to be relatively easy to read and comprehend as I do not have a vast amount of knowledge overall. I am very much interested in nuclear physics, and radioactivity, but I would like to see if there are any easy to read book on that topic as I am sure a lot of them will be quite complex. I don't have that much knowledge on the subject either, I have learned the basics, like radioactive decay, half life, the three major emissions, and a few formulas. I would prefer an actual book instead of a textbook but either would be great.

If there are any other relatively easy reading books I would be very interested. I know they may not be that common but I need to start somewhere, as all I have done in Physics is class work and some reading off the internet.

Any guidance would be great thanks! :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the difference between a "book" and a "textbook" ?

I can recommend "Introductory to Nuclear Physics" by Krane, a bit old but will do the job to introduce many fields of nuclear physics to you.

And as in any other field of modern physics, the more Quantum Mechanics you know, the more you can grasp from the diciplines of modern physics.

Thanks I will check it out.

_Mayday_ said:
Thanks I will check it out.

Do so :)

I can also say that "Nuclei and particles, introduction to the physical conceps" by Povh, is not so good to learn Nuclear Physics from, but has a good chapter about scattering (better than Krane's).

Also the text "Introductory Nuclear physics" by Wong is also good, but more technical (mathematical) then Krane, and requires more Quantum Mechanics.

Then finally you have "Nuclear Physics - principles & applications" , by Lilley. A quite good book, but I would choose Krane (this book is at the same level as krane, but does not cover as much material)

Those where the introductory books that I have studied myself.

I have also heard that these two books are good:

"Fundamentals in Nuclear Physics: From Nuclear Structure to Cosmology" by Jean-Louis Basdevant

and

"Nuclear Physics in a Nutshell" by Carlos A. Bertulani

But I again stress that my best advice is Krane, it is a bargain ;)

Krane's book is an undergraduate textbook, which I have and must admit is very good. I'm not sure its exactly what you're looking for but I couldn't suggest an alternative.

Amazon have a sneak peek of it.

Kurdt said:
Krane's book is an undergraduate textbook, which I have and must admit is very good. I'm not sure its exactly what you're looking for but I couldn't suggest an alternative.

Amazon have a sneak peek of it.

I really just want to expand on the knwoledge that I have now. I think we have Krane's book in the Library as I am familiar with the front cover, I'll check it out. I recently watched an online lecture on Radioactivity and was very interested, I have grasped all those ideas from both a textbook I have and the internet. Unfortunately I can't find the lecture that the person gave after that. :cry:

What is the best book for learning about nuclear physics?

The best book for learning about nuclear physics depends on the individual's level of knowledge and interests. Some popular choices include "Introduction to Nuclear and Particle Physics" by A. Das and T. Ferbel, "Nuclear Physics: Principles and Applications" by J. S. Lilley, and "Fundamentals in Nuclear Physics" by J. W. Negele and H. Orland.

What are the key concepts covered in a good nuclear physics book?

A good nuclear physics book will cover topics such as nuclear structure, nuclear reactions, nuclear decay, nuclear models, nuclear astrophysics, and nuclear technology. It will also delve into the fundamental forces and particles that govern the behavior of nuclei.

Are there any recommended prerequisites for reading a book on nuclear physics?

It is recommended to have a solid understanding of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics before delving into nuclear physics. Knowledge of calculus and linear algebra is also helpful.

What makes a good nuclear physics book stand out?

A good nuclear physics book should have a clear and concise writing style, with relevant examples and applications. It should also have well-organized chapters, with a balance between theory and practical applications. Additionally, a good book will have updated information and include recent developments in the field.

Are there any resources that can supplement a book on nuclear physics?

Yes, there are many resources available to supplement a book on nuclear physics. This includes online lectures, practice problems, simulations, and interactive learning tools. Joining a study group or seeking help from a tutor can also be beneficial in understanding complex concepts.