Calculate Size of Small Rectangles to Fill Max Area in Encompassing Rectangle

• Thread starter kleinma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the issue at hand is determining the size of smaller rectangles to fill the maximum area inside a larger rectangle without altering their height/width ratio. This can be solved by using the area of the larger rectangle and the number of smaller rectangles, and the dimensions of the smaller rectangles can be (L/sqrt(n)) x (W/sqrt(n)). There are also other methods such as using ratios and solving algebraically, but these may involve theoretical assumptions and may result in infinitely small rectangles depending on the desired number of smaller rectangles.
kleinma
The issue at hand, is I will have a rectangle of size x. This rectangle will contain n smaller rectangles. Each of these smaller rectangles is the same size though.

I need to figure out how to calculate the SIZE that the smaller rectangles should be, based on

1) the size of the encompassing rectangle
2) the number of smaller rectangles that go inside it

so that I can fill the maximum area inside the main rectangle, without altering the height/width ratio of the smaller rectangles (ie they can grow in size, but they can't be sized in a way that it distorts their height/width ratio, so some area in the encompassing rectangle will not be filled in, and this is ok)

both these values are known when I need to do the calculation.

Here are a few images to illustrate this (note sizes of red rectangles in each image are always the same). Is there any specific geometric formula to do this?

Attachments

• example1.gif
    example1.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 460
  • example2.gif
    example2.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 445
  • example3.gif
    example3.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 445
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you could fit an infinite number of rectangles in the larger, either the smaller shave to be infitly small or the larger infinitly big =]

That wasn't what I was asking...

This is for a real world problem, so I need a real world answer.. not theoretical assumptions.

Well, the "size" of rectangle is called area and its two dimensional. So let's call the rectangle's area L x W. And suppose we want to fit n smaller equivalent rectangles inside the big one.

The dimension of each of the smaller rectangles can be (L/sqrt(n)) x (W/sqrt(n)).

kleinma said:
That wasn't what I was asking...

This is for a real world problem, so I need a real world answer.. not theoretical assumptions.

I was just joking around a bit =]

but I think you could go along the lines of the ratio of the original rectangle and then just solve alegraicly. such as

(L1)(W1)=x(L2)(W2)
where L1/W1=L2/W2

x represents the number of smaller rectangles you want
L1 is the length of big rectangle
W1 is the width of the big rectangle
L2 is the length of smaller rectangles
W2 is the width of the smaller rectangle

the L1/W1=L2/W2 should assure the proper ratios

I think this should be right if I read this right, but you said something about theoretically assumptions, and depending on what you want x to be, it could be infinitely small. But I g2g so I have to stop here.

Last edited:
You're asking what are the different ways to arrange a bunch of videos onto a screen without changing their aspect ratios right?

Alex48674 said:
(L1)(W1)=x(L2)(W2)
where L1/W1=L2/W2

I think this should be right if I read this right,

Thats correct. I got the same results too...

What is the purpose of calculating the size of small rectangles to fill the maximum area in an encompassing rectangle?

The purpose of this calculation is to optimize the space utilization within an encompassing rectangle. By finding the optimal size of smaller rectangles, we can fill the maximum area and minimize any wasted space.

How do you calculate the size of small rectangles to fill the maximum area in an encompassing rectangle?

To calculate the size of small rectangles, we first determine the dimensions of the encompassing rectangle. Then, we divide the length and width of the encompassing rectangle by the number of smaller rectangles we want to fit in each direction. This will give us the optimal size for each smaller rectangle.

What factors should be considered when calculating the size of small rectangles to fill the maximum area?

Some factors to consider include the dimensions of the encompassing rectangle, the desired number of smaller rectangles to fit, and any constraints such as minimum or maximum sizes for the smaller rectangles.

Are there any limitations to this calculation method?

Yes, this calculation method assumes that the smaller rectangles will be placed in a grid pattern within the encompassing rectangle. It may not be suitable for irregularly shaped or non-grid layouts.

What are some potential applications for this calculation method?

This calculation method can be useful in various fields, such as architecture, engineering, and manufacturing. It can also be applied in computer graphics and image processing to optimize the placement of objects within a given space.