A silly question regarding general solutions to second order DE's

In summary: Since\Psi(x)=C_1e^{iKx}+C_2e^{-iKx}=C_1(Cos(Kx)+iSin(Kx))+C_2(Cos(Kx)-iSin(Kx)) = (C_1+C_2)Cos(Kx)+(C_1-C_2)iSin(Kx) and the "i" is still there!, the i must be there in the complex form because it is needed to make the equation completely general.
IHateMayonnaise
It's been a while since I've had DE, and it seems I have forgotten something basic, yet crucial. In solving the Time-Independent Schrodinger Wave Equation in one dimension, I have the following:

[tex]\left( -\frac{\hbar}{2m} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+V\right) \Psi(x)=E\Psi(X)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\Psi(x)+K^2\Psi(x)=0[/tex]

where V=0 and

[tex] K^2=\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}[/tex]

And my question is: are the following solutions equal?

[tex]\Psi(x)=C_1e^{iKx}+C_2e^{-iKx}[/tex]

[tex]\Psi(x)=C_1Cos(Kx)+C_2Sin(Kx)[/tex]

I know that Euler's Formula is [tex]e^{i\theta x}=Cos(\theta x)+iSin(\theta x)[/tex], however inserting this into the first solution above does not result in the second. Thanks!

IHateMayonnaise

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no difference between those two forms of the solution. But they aren't 'equal'. When you go from one to the other you need to change the values of C1 and C2. For example C1 in the real form is equal to C1+C2 in the complex form, C2 in the real form is i*(C1-C2) in the complex form.

Last edited:
Dick said:
There is no difference between those two forms of the solution. But they aren't 'equal'. When go from one to the other you need to change the values of C1 and C2. For example C1 in the real form is equal to C1+C2 in the complex form.

Well, when solving The Schrodinger equation, how do I know which form to take? Can I just put it in one form or the other and solve for the coefficients?

You can use them interchangeably. E.g. 2*exp(iKx)+3*exp(-iKx)=(2+3)*cos(Kx)+i*(2-3)*Sin(Kx) (check that using Euler's formula). They are really just plain equal. Depends on whether you have a preference for where to put the i's.

Last edited:
Dick said:
You can use them interchangeably. E.g. 2*exp(iKx)+3*exp(-iKx)=(2+5)*cos(Kx)+i*(2-3)*Sin(Kx) (check that using Euler's formula). They are really just plain equal. Depends on whether you have a preference for where to put the i's.

Well what you have there makes sense to me, what confuses me is why there isn't an i in front of the sine term in the second solution

[tex]\Psi(x)=C_1e^{iKx}+C_2e^{-iKx}[/tex]

[tex]\Psi(x)=C_1Cos(Kx)+C_2Sin(Kx)[/tex]

Since

[tex]\Psi(x)=C_1e^{iKx}+C_2e^{-iKx}=C_1(Cos(Kx)+iSin(Kx))+C_2(Cos(Kx)-iSin(Kx)) = (C_1+C_2)Cos(Kx)+(C_1-C_2)iSin(Kx) [/tex]

and the "i" is still there! Why?? (I get the part about the coefficients)

Because to express a completely general COMPLEX solution to the Schrodinger equation, C1 and C2 need to be COMPLEX constants. In BOTH forms. You can only restrict them to be real (for example) if you have have special boundary conditions and use the freedom to choose an arbitrary phase and normalization for psi.

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It is used to model many physical phenomena and can be solved to find the general solution.

2. What is a general solution to a second order DE?

A general solution to a second order DE is an equation that includes all possible solutions to the DE. It usually contains an arbitrary constant that can take on any value, allowing for infinite solutions to the equation.

3. How do you find the general solution to a second order DE?

To find the general solution to a second order DE, you must first solve the equation using various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients. Then, you can plug the solution into the general form of the equation and include an arbitrary constant to represent all possible solutions.

4. Can a general solution to a second order DE be unique?

No, a general solution to a second order DE is not unique. It contains an arbitrary constant that can take on any value, so there are infinite solutions to the equation.

5. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution to a second order DE?

A general solution includes all possible solutions to a second order DE while a particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the initial conditions of the DE. The general solution often contains an arbitrary constant while a particular solution does not.