Solve Matrix Inverse with Trigonometric Values

In summary, the matrix [cos(theta), -sin(theta); sin(theta), cos(theta)] is invertible because its determinant is not 0, which is a requirement for invertibility. Additionally, the inverse of the matrix can be found by multiplying the original matrix by a specific matrix with trigonometric values, which results in a simple and easy to calculate inverse.
nk735

Homework Statement

Show that the matrix [cos(theta), -sin(theta); sin(theta), cos(theta)] is invertible, regardless of the value of theta

Homework Equations

Identity matrix, elementary row operations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the basic idea as to how to go about this; (let the above matrix = A)

- form an augmented matrix with the identity matrix, eg. [A|I]

- perform row operations (forward and backwards elimination) until matrix looks like [I|A^-1]

However, I'm at a loss as to how to perform these operations with the trigonometric values instead of numbers.

Just a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, i'd like to solve this myself

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to think about this matrix geometrically. Can you guess what a possible inverse of it is? Verify that your guess is an actual inverse.

The problem doesn't actually ask you to find the inverse- just to show that it exists. Are you aware that a matrix is invertible if and only if its determinant is not 0? What is the determinant of this matrix?

Actually, it's not that hard to find the inverse they way you are doing it- just tedious. It turns out to be surprisingly easy and morphism's suggestion shows why.

… just a gentle push …

nk735 said:
Just a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, i'd like to solve this myself

Hi nk735! :smile:

Try:
(cosA sinA (cosB sinB
-sinA cosA) x -sinB cosB).

The (1,1) term will be cosAcosB + sinA(-sinB), = … ?

So the whole matrix is … ? :smile:

1. What is a matrix inverse?

A matrix inverse is a mathematical operation that involves finding the matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. In simpler terms, it is the matrix that "undoes" the effects of the original matrix.

2. How do trigonometric values play a role in solving a matrix inverse?

Trigonometric values, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, can be used to represent complex numbers in a matrix. These values can be used to manipulate the matrix and solve for its inverse.

3. What is the process for solving a matrix inverse with trigonometric values?

The process for solving a matrix inverse with trigonometric values involves using various trigonometric identities and operations to manipulate the matrix and solve for its inverse. This can involve using techniques such as cofactor expansion, Gaussian elimination, or the adjugate method.

4. Can a matrix inverse always be solved using trigonometric values?

No, not all matrices have a unique inverse that can be solved using trigonometric values. Some matrices may not have an inverse at all, while others may require different mathematical operations to find their inverse.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving a matrix inverse with trigonometric values?

Yes, matrix inverses with trigonometric values are used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to solve systems of equations and perform transformations. They are also commonly used in computer graphics and animation to manipulate and transform images and objects.