Need some help differentiating

In summary, the problem involves differentiating \frac{V_0}{xln(\frac{b}{x})} and the solution is \frac{-V_0}{x^2 ln(b/x)} + \frac{V_0 * b}{x^3 ln(b/x)^2}. The mistake made was in differentiating the ln function, but it can be solved using implicit differentiation.
jesuslovesu
[SOLVED] need some help differentiating

Uh my bad, forgot how to differentiate ln's

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac{V_0}{xln(\frac{b}{x})} [/tex]
Find dE/dx

I can almost get the answer, but I had to use MATLAB to find the actual answer, so I am kind of feeling stupid now.

My problem is when I try to differentiate the ln

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]d/dx(\frac{V_0}{xln(\frac{b}{x})}) = \frac{-V_0}{x^2 ln(b/x)} + \frac{V_0 * b/x^2}{x ln(b/x)^2} =[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-V_0}{x^2 ln(b/x)} + \frac{V_0 * b}{x^3 ln(b/x)^2}[/tex]

The second term should only have x^2 in it (and no b), does anyone see where I went wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]log_a(x)=y=>a^{y}=x[/tex] let's differentiate this implicitly, we get:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(a^{y}=x)=>\frac{dy}{dx}a^{y}lna=1=>\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{a^{y}lna}=>\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{xlna}[/tex]

When a=e, we get:[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]. So it is just a special case of a general case.

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical concept that refers to the process of finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is used to analyze how a function changes over a specific interval and is an important tool in calculus.

2. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation allows us to analyze the behavior of a function by providing information about its slope, concavity, and extrema. It is essential in solving real-world problems in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

3. How do you differentiate a function?

To differentiate a function, you need to use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules provide a step-by-step method for finding the derivative of a function. You can also use differentiation tables or software programs to make the process easier.

4. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are two fundamental operations in calculus. Differentiation is the process of finding the derivative of a function, while integration is the process of finding the anti-derivative of a function. In other words, differentiation tells us the rate of change of a function, while integration tells us the original function from its rate of change.

5. How can differentiation be applied in real life?

Differentiation has numerous real-life applications, such as in physics to analyze motion and forces, in economics to maximize profits and minimize costs, and in engineering to optimize designs. It is also used in fields like biology and chemistry to model and understand various processes and phenomena.