Need help starting from scratch in math, physics, and chemistry?

• Thread starter pamba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    scratch
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with their math, physics, and chemistry studies after realizing their poor performance in these subjects throughout their school career. They are worried about their future education and are considering purchasing instructional DVDs or hiring an online tutor to improve their skills. They are also having trouble finding a tutor in their small town. They are currently in grade 11 and hope to become an engineer.
pamba
Hey guys, I just recently started lurking these forums and I need some help. I have decided to start from scratch in my math/physics and chemistry studies. Throughout my school career I have been a slacker in doing my homework and paying attention in class and that has cost me to have a horrible base in math/physics/chem. Now I am in grade 11high school and I am starting to get worried about my post graduate education. My goal is to become an engineer but I don't think I will get through the first year of university with how I am doing right now.

I was thinking of maybe buying some dvds like these
http://www.videoaidedinstruction.com/math.html

Its very hard to find a tutor in my area becouse I live in a small town. I was thinking of maybe getting an online tutor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What level of math are you in?

I understand the importance of a strong foundation in math, physics, and chemistry for pursuing a career in engineering. It's great that you have recognized the need to start from scratch and improve your understanding of these subjects.

Firstly, I would recommend reaching out to your teachers or school counselors for guidance and resources. They may be able to provide you with extra study materials or suggest online resources that can help you improve your understanding of the subjects.

In addition to that, using online resources like the DVDs you mentioned can also be helpful. However, it's important to make sure that the materials are from reputable sources and cover the topics you need to focus on.

You also mentioned the possibility of getting an online tutor. This can be a great option as it allows you to receive personalized help and guidance from an expert. Just make sure to do your research and choose a tutor who is qualified and experienced in the subjects you need help with.

Lastly, don't be discouraged by your current level of understanding. With dedication and hard work, you can definitely improve and succeed in your studies. It's never too late to start and with determination, you can achieve your goal of becoming an engineer. Good luck!

What does "starting from scratch" mean?

"Starting from scratch" refers to beginning a project or task with no previous work or progress made. It means starting from the very beginning and building up from there.

Why is it important to have help when starting from scratch?

Having help when starting from scratch can provide support, guidance, and new perspectives. It can also help save time and prevent mistakes that may occur when working alone.

What are the benefits of starting from scratch?

Starting from scratch allows for complete creative freedom and the ability to tailor the project to your specific needs and goals. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the project and its components.

What are some common challenges when starting from scratch?

Some common challenges when starting from scratch include lack of direction or structure, uncertainty about the best approach, and potential feelings of overwhelm. It can also be difficult to stay motivated and on track when starting from scratch.

How can I find help when starting from scratch?

There are several ways to find help when starting from scratch, such as reaching out to colleagues or mentors, joining online communities or forums, hiring a consultant or coach, and attending workshops or classes. It's important to find help from reliable and knowledgeable sources.