Abstract Algebra Questions - Need help for exam

In summary: The conditions for an equivalence relation are that it must be reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. Q5:This is a very easy problem. Write (1 4 8 7)(3 4)(1 8 5) as a product of cycles with disjoint trace. sgn( ) is the sign of the permutation and ord( ) is the order of the permutation.
goldstar
Abstract Algebra Questions - Need help for exam!

Homework Statement

I am studying Abstract Algebra in college and my exams are approaching fast.I need somebody to help me out to do a few exam papers.

I am going to post the questions below from the exam papers and if you can advise me how to do do them , just post what to do.I don't think that they are that difficult and if you have a good grasp of the algebra they are fairly doable.

Q1

State clearly the general definition of an equivalence relation. Show that
(a, b) ~(r, s) iff a + s = b + r
defines an equivalence relation on the set M = {1, 2, 3, 4, . . .}×{1, 2, 3, 4, . . .},
which contains precisely all pairs of positive integers.

Q2

(b) State clearly Lagrange’s Theorem.
Find all subgroups of the symmetric group S3.

(c) Prove that {1, t, t2, t3, t4, t55 marks } is a normal subgroup of the dihedral group D6.

Q3
State Euler’s theorem and use it to compute 254477550 mod 282.

Q4
Prove that the multiplicative group (Z/24Z)* is not isomorphic to the additive group (Z/8Z).

Q5

Write  = (1 4 8 7)(3 4)(1 8 5) element of S8 as a product of cycles with disjoint trace.
Determine the order ord() and parity sgn() of the permutation . Write its
inverse −1 as a product of cycles with disjoint trace.

All help would be appreciated. I don't think that they are too difficult but like everything in maths its just a matter of knowing how to do them..

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest you pick one of those problems, make an honest attempt to solve it and then post where you are having problems. Follow the submission form posting all needed definitions of the symbols you are using. I don't even know what some of those questions mean.

The first thing you need to do is look up the DEFINITIONS of the terms you are using. The first problem, for example, says "state the definition and the second part of it follows immediately from the definition of "equivalence relation". If you know what "Lagrange’s Theorem", "dihedral group", "Euler's theorem" etc. are, yes, the problems are easy.

Ok i will look them up. I am just up the walls at the moment with assignments and study. If you could explain just how to do these few questions i would be very grateful .I don't think that they are very difficult.

Langranges theorem refers to cosets and groups and the number of each which you can have. I have the defintion of an equivalace relation also.

These problems are not too difficult but would be tricky enough for me to solve ,please give me a start on them as I can use them as the basis to solve other problems...

Q4 ,Q2 b and c are the ones I am finding most trouble with.

Saying "Lagranges theorem refers to cosets and groups and the number of each which you can have" is not enough. Exactly what does Lagranges theorem say?

I'm glad you have the definition of an equivalence relation. Now it should be obvious that to prove something is an equivalence relation, you only have to show that the conditions given in the definition are true for this particular relation.
What are those conditions?

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of algebraic structures and their properties. It involves studying mathematical objects such as groups, rings, and fields, and the relations between them.

2. What are some common topics in abstract algebra?

Some common topics in abstract algebra include group theory, ring theory, field theory, and linear algebra. Other topics may include modules, vector spaces, and representation theory.

3. How is abstract algebra different from traditional algebra?

Abstract algebra is different from traditional algebra in that it focuses on studying algebraic structures in a more abstract and general way, rather than specific equations and operations. It also deals with more advanced concepts such as groups and fields, rather than just manipulating numbers.

4. How can abstract algebra be applied in real life?

Abstract algebra has many applications in various fields, including physics, computer science, and cryptography. Some examples include using group theory to study symmetry in crystals, using ring theory in coding theory, and using field theory in cryptography algorithms.

5. How can I prepare for an abstract algebra exam?

To prepare for an abstract algebra exam, it is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts and definitions. Practice problems and working through examples can also help to reinforce understanding. It is also helpful to review class notes and attend any review sessions or office hours offered by the instructor.