Deleting a file that can not read from the source file or disk

In summary, Deleting a file that "can not read from the source file or disk" may be possible with a tool like the unlocker, but is more likely to be successful with safe mode.
only_huce
Deleting a file that "can not read from the source file or disk"

I downloaded a torrent file the other day and half way through the download i decided i didn't want to finish downloading so i deleted the file using a command prompt on bittorrent. Now the file (which is on my desktop) is deleted since it's at 0 bytes but the shortcut is still there, it's just a blank shortcut with no specified program and no matter what I've done so far I cannot get it to delete without the computer claiming that it "can not delete file: can not read from the source file or disk."

I've tried restarting in safe mode, running disk defragmenter along with various clean up programs, and system restore is not an option because i usually never create a restore point to save drive space. So basically I'm all out of ideas and I have this nasty shortcut sitting on my desktop that will not go away.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Computer science news on Phys.org

Right-click on the shortcut, then choose "Properties" and see if the file is read-only. If so, uncheck that and delete it.

Note: I am assuming that you have tried to drag the file to the trash bin.

Can you delete it from the command shell (cmd.exe)?

You might try booting with a linux livecd (like Knoppix) and deleting the file. [You may have to mount the drive and make it writable.]

oh actually i haven't tried deleting it with a command shell. I'm not very familiar with cmd prompt so idk how to take it to my desktop to delete it

Start -> Run -> cmd.exe

cd Desktop
del YourFile
You may be able to the Tab-key to complete the filename after your start it off.

You may need to run a filesystem-consistency check, like chkdsk.

- Warren

Another tip is to start up in safe mode.

Tried safe mode, unfortunately it didn't work. And I used the command prompt (thanks robphy) and it showed the file when i hit tab but when i went to delete it I got could not find "File Name".

It's possible that the file has either hidden characters in the name, or the file system has become corrupted (is this ntfs?)
If you tried safe mode it's unlikely that the file is in use.

You need a tool to flag a file as 'delete on next boot', your virus scanner should be able to do this, otherwise look at http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Last edited by a moderator:

It's very possible that the item you're trying to delete is currently running as a process; You can't delete things that are currently running. What you can do is press ctrl+alt+del, click on processes, find the process which fits your file, end the process, then you can delete the file.

Some viruses have weird process names, different than that of the file you're trying to delete, so you need to find which process it is.

Or, you can boot into safe mode. In safe mode no personal processes should be running and you should be free to delete.

only_huce said:
Tried safe mode, unfortunately it didn't work. And I used the command prompt (thanks robphy) and it showed the file when i hit tab but when i went to delete it I got could not find "File Name".

Check task manager, it might be linked to an app that's running at startup.

only_huce said:
Now the file (which is on my desktop) is deleted since it's at 0 bytes

If it is at 0 bytes it is not deleted, it is just an empty file of zero length. As such it can be linked to. Not that the file existence should interfere with the link deletion.

mgb_phys said:
It's possible that the file has either hidden characters in the name, or the file system has become corrupted (is this ntfs?)
If you tried safe mode it's unlikely that the file is in use.

You need a tool to flag a file as 'delete on next boot', your virus scanner should be able to do this, otherwise look at http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Wow, the unlocker program you linked me too worked like a charm. It deleted it without even rebooting. I had previously tried other programs which supposedly do the same thing and none of them proved successful.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread for helping me out with this, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why am I unable to delete a file from my computer?

There could be several reasons why you are unable to delete a file from your computer. One possible reason is that the file is currently in use by another program or process. Another reason could be that the file may be corrupted or have a read-only attribute. Additionally, if the file is located on a network or external drive, it could be that the connection to the drive has been lost.

2. How can I delete a file that I cannot read from the source file or disk?

If you are unable to read the file from the source file or disk, it is likely that the file is corrupted or the source is no longer available. In this case, you can try using a file recovery program or restoring the file from a backup. If those options are not available, you may need to seek technical assistance to recover or delete the file.

3. Is it safe to use a third-party program to delete a file that I cannot read from the source file or disk?

It is generally safe to use a reputable third-party program to delete a file that you cannot read from the source file or disk. However, it is recommended to do thorough research and read reviews before using any third-party software. Additionally, be cautious of any pop-ups or prompts that may appear while using the program, as they may be trying to install unwanted software or malware onto your computer.

4. Can I delete a file that I cannot read from the source file or disk using Command Prompt?

Yes, you can use Command Prompt to delete a file that you cannot read from the source file or disk. To do this, you will need to navigate to the location of the file using the "cd" command and then use the "del" command followed by the file name. However, if the file is corrupted or the source is not available, this method may not be successful.

5. How can I prevent files from becoming unreadable and unable to be deleted?

To prevent files from becoming unreadable and unable to be deleted, it is important to regularly maintain your computer and perform disk cleanups. This will help remove any unnecessary files and free up space on your hard drive. It is also recommended to regularly back up important files to an external drive or cloud storage to prevent total loss in case of corruption or deletion. Additionally, be cautious when downloading files from the internet and ensure you have a reputable anti-virus software installed to prevent malware and viruses from corrupting your files.