Why does light not pass through voids within atoms?

In summary, the conversation discusses why light cannot pass through voids within atoms and how it can pass through air and glass. It is explained that the reason for this is due to the size of the voids and the size of the light particles. Additionally, the concept of transparent and non-transparent materials is addressed, with the arrangement of atoms being a determining factor. The conversation also touches on the uncertainty of a photon's position and its interaction with atoms.
azzkika
Why does light not pass through voids within atoms??

Wow, i luuuuuvvvvv this site. for years I've had a fascination but rarely found many answers on many things. so a BIG thanks to some of you have been answering some of my questions so far.

Here's another...

When doing a fibre optic course, i asked the tutor why light could not pass through the wall, but could pass through air and glass, as essentially the atoms of the wall are mainly vacuum.

I have never had a satisfactory answer to this, and i hold the incorrect opinion that everything of finite density should be allowing light to pass through.

now i may be far too inept on the quantum side of things, to ever fully understand why things aren't transparent. but when i think about the space within the atom, my basic understanding tells me light should be passing through the space in atoms in a similar way as it travels between planets in our solar system.

note that for this i am addressing light as photons in particle form.

an added query following on from this would be that when atoms reflect a wavelength thus giving colour, why do the remaining wavelengths not pass through but are trapped, and what is atomically different between transparent and non transparent atoms.

Physics news on Phys.org

Light can pass through the wall, the wall is made of almost the same glass as the core. It is just arranged so that the light which enters the wall is reflected back into the core.

The reason light doesn't pass through the spaces between atoms is that light is rather large and the spaces between atoms in a solid are rather small.
Since light is an electromagnetic wave and atoms contain charged electrons the light interacts with the atom.
In a gas the atoms are much further apart and so most of the light doesn't get a chance to interact with them.

Trasnaprent and non-transparent materials (at least solids) depends on howthe atoms are arranged. Incoming light excites atoms which then emit new light, which then interacts with the next atom and so on. If the atoms are arranged so that the outgoing light looks the same as the incoming light then the matererial appears transparent - it isn't the same light going through the matial.

Electromagnetic radiation (light, radio, microwaves) can go through holes that are larger than the wavelength of the radiation. That's why satellite dishes, radio telescopes, etc. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Parkes.arp.750pix.jpg ) aren't necessarily solid. They only need to have a screen with holes small enough that the radiation can't pass through. That's also how the screen covering the window of your microwave oven works (wavelength ~2cm).

azzkika said:
note that for this i am addressing light as photons in particle form.

Hi azzkika! :smile:

I take it you're completely happy with the wave explanation?

I think the answer is that, as a particle, the photon's position is uncertain … alternatively, it "sees" the positions of the gaps as uncertain … and so it can't avoid the atoms. :smile:

yes thanks, some very good replies. and wow, i never realized atoms were creating their own light by interaction -( i always thought they absorbed the frequencies of colour they weren't so to speak and reflected the remaining frequencies). glass has a whole new concept for me now. lol

Last edited:

russ_watters said:
Electromagnetic radiation (light, radio, microwaves) can go through holes that are larger than the wavelength of the radiation.
I'm asking you to clarify the context, because said in this way doesn't seem right to me: em radiation should go even through smaller holes than its wavelenght.

1. Why doesn't light pass through the empty spaces within atoms?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that travels in waves. When it encounters matter, it can interact with the electrons surrounding the atoms. However, the empty spaces within atoms, known as electron orbitals, do not contain any electrons for the light to interact with. Therefore, light does not pass through these voids within atoms.

2. How do electron orbitals affect the passage of light through atoms?

Electron orbitals play a crucial role in the interaction between light and atoms. When light waves encounter an atom, they can either be absorbed, scattered, or transmitted. The probability of each outcome is determined by the shape and size of the electron orbitals. If there are no electrons in the orbital for the light to interact with, it will not pass through.

3. Can light pass through all types of atoms?

No, light cannot pass through all types of atoms. The ability of light to pass through an atom depends on its electron configuration and the energy of the light waves. If the energy of the light does not match the energy required to excite the electrons in the atom, the light will not be able to pass through.

4. Is it possible for light to pass through solid objects?

Yes, it is possible for light to pass through solid objects. However, it depends on the material's transparency and the energy of the light. Materials that are transparent, such as glass, allow light to pass through because their electron orbitals do not absorb or scatter the light waves. Solid objects made of opaque materials, such as wood or metal, do not allow light to pass through because their electron orbitals absorb or scatter the light waves.

5. How does the wavelength of light affect its ability to pass through atoms?

The wavelength of light plays a crucial role in determining its ability to pass through atoms. Light waves with longer wavelengths, such as radio waves, have less energy and are more likely to pass through atoms than shorter wavelength waves, such as X-rays. This is because the energy of the light must match the energy needed to excite the electrons in the atom for it to pass through.