Constructing Intersection of Sets for De Morgans: Get Union of Sets

In summary, the goal is to construct sets B1, B2, ... that are disjoint in order to get the infinite intersection of Ai equal to the infinite union of Bi. The De Morgan's law can be used to turn the intersection into the union. The book suggests the use of B1=A1, B2=A2\B1, etc., but this may be a typo as it would result in empty sets. It is assumed that this hint should work for both cases of A1 containing A2 containing A3 and so on, and A1C A2C A3C and so on. However, for the second case, there may be other possible Bi's that could work for the problem.
b0it0i

Homework Statement

Given A1 superset of A2 superset of A3 superset of A4 ... and so on
how can i construct sets B1, B2, ...
so that each Bi's are disjoint.

The goal is to get

the infinite intersection of Ai = the infinite union of Bi

Homework Equations

De morgans law:
(AUB)^c = (A^c N B^c)
(ANB)^c = (A^c U B^c)

which can be applied to infinite unions and intersections

The Attempt at a Solution

somewhere along the way, i understand that i need to involve de morgans law to turn the intersection into the union, but each Bi that I try gives me something strange and i can't come up with the result i want

The book suggests to use
Let
B1 = A1
B2 = A2\B1
Bk = Ak\Bk-1

All the Bk's are disjoint, but...

what exactly is B2=A2\A1... i mean everything in A2, is technically in A1,
since A2 subset of A1. So an element in B2 is an element in A2, yet is not an element in A1, which then implies it is not an element of A2...

so I'm totally lost

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

No, B1 and B2 don't have any common elements. B1=A1, B2=A2\B1. If B2 is the difference between something and B1, it's hardly possible for B1 and B2 to have common elements, isn't it?

Dick said:
No, B1 and B2 don't have any common elements. B1=A1, B2=A2\B1. If B2 is the difference between something and B1, it's hardly possible for B1 and B2 to have common elements, isn't it?

i see. however, i should have worded that part better, noting that A1 super set of A2 superset of A3...

what exactly is B2=A2\A1... i mean everything in A2, is technically in A1,
since A2 subset of A1. So an element in B2 is an element in A2, yet is not an element in A1, which then implies it is not an element of A2...

so something is in A2, yet not in A2... isn't that a contradiction

Ok, so it's saying A1 contains A2 contains A3 etc, right? In that case saying B2=A2\A1 may simply be a typo. That would be empty. I see your point. I guess you should just assume they muffed the notation on the hint and fix it for them.

Dick said:
Ok, so it's saying A1 contains A2 contains A3 etc, right? In that case saying B2=A2\A1 may simply be a typo. That would be empty. I see your point. I guess you should just assume they muffed the notation on the hint and fix it for them.

this problem actually hard two parts

one dealt with when A1 C A2 C A3 C ...

the other was when A1 contains A2 contains A3 contains

but the book only gave that single hint. It didn't say it strictly applied to one or the other, and I'm assuming it meant that it should work for both cases. And the hint works when A1 C A2 C A3 C ...
but, the problem is in the second case, the one i stated in my problem.

are there any other possible Bi's that would work for the original problem. That's the main problem I'm having, coming up with such Bi's that would work

1. What is the purpose of constructing the intersection of sets for De Morgan's law?

The purpose of constructing the intersection of sets for De Morgan's law is to understand and apply the principle of complementarity, which states that the complement of the intersection of two sets is equal to the union of their complements. This is an important concept in set theory and can be used to simplify and solve various mathematical problems.

2. How do you construct the intersection of sets for De Morgan's law?

To construct the intersection of sets for De Morgan's law, you first need to find the union of the two sets. Then, you take the complement of the union to get the intersection of the sets. This can be done by finding the elements that are common to both sets and then finding the elements that are not in either set.

3. Can De Morgan's law be applied to more than two sets?

Yes, De Morgan's law can be applied to more than two sets. The principle of complementarity holds true for any number of sets. However, the process of constructing the intersection of sets may become more complex as the number of sets increases.

4. What is the relationship between the intersection of sets and De Morgan's law?

The intersection of sets is a key component in understanding and applying De Morgan's law. The law states that the complement of the intersection of two sets is equal to the union of their complements. This means that the intersection of sets plays a crucial role in simplifying and solving problems related to De Morgan's law.

5. How is the intersection of sets used in real-life situations?

The intersection of sets has various real-life applications, such as in data analysis, market research, and decision making. It can be used to identify commonalities and differences between different groups or categories, which can help in making informed decisions. For example, the intersection of sets can be used to analyze the demographics of a certain population or to identify overlapping interests in a market segment.