Deriving Resonant Frequency of Multiple Mass Mass-Spring Systems

In summary: Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software (Matlab, Ansys, COMSOL etc) and solve for eigenvalues.In summary, to derive the resonant frequencies of a multiple mass mass-spring system, one must write the motion equations and use the mass and stiffness matrices to solve for the eigenvalues. Using Finite Element Analysis software is a helpful method to derive these frequencies.
verd
How does one begin to derive the resonant frequencies of a multiple mass mass-spring system? (3-mass system)
OK, so deriving this isn't a homework problem. I'd just like to know how. It's been a couple of years since I've taken a physics course. I was asked what the resonant frequencies of each mode of a 3-mass mass-spring system was. I found the formulas on the internet, but am not sure how these are derived. Does anyone know how to derive these? ...If anyone could get me started on one, that would be great.

Relevant equations can be found in this PDF document for each mode of oscillation, page 13 & 14!
"academic.reed.edu/physics/courses/phys100/Lab%20Manuals/Vibrational%20Modes/normalmodes.pdf"[/URL]
(There are accompanying images in the PDF that I can't format the same way on a forum)Does anyone have any suggestions on where to begin?Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
it's been 3 years since this is asked.
but, in any case, i just try to answer this question. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
(also, considering the fact that above given link is dead)

suppose we have 2dof mass spring system

GND -- Spring 1 (k1) -- Mass 1 (m1) -- Spring 2 (k2) -- Mass 2 (m2)

there are two resonance frequencies (w1, w2) but they are NOT equal to following

w1 (NOT EQUAL TO) sqrt(k1/m1)
w2 (NOT EQUAL TO) sqrt(k2/m2)All you need is to write the motion equations. I do it for 2 Dof system but anyone can modify it for 3 DoF system as well.

x1 and x2 are the position functions of m1 and m2 respectively.
ddx1 and ddx2 are accelerations, dx1 and dx2 are velocities.

m1 ddx1 + (k1+k2) x1 - k2 x2 = 0 (If a force applied to m1, put this force to right hand side instead of zero)
m2 ddx2 + k2 x2 - k2 x1 = 0 (the same here)

Mass and stiffness matrix take the following form (in Matlab notation)

M = [m1, 0; 0, m2]
K = [k1+k2, -k2; -k2, k2]

Eigenvalues of the following matrix gives you 2 distinct resonance frequencies. Since the matrix is 2x2 there are two eigen values.

K-Lamda*M

In case of 3 DoF system the above matrix becomes 3x3 and its 3 eigenvalues give you 3 distinct resonant frequencies.

Best

What is a multiple mass-spring system?

A multiple mass-spring system is a physical system consisting of two or more masses connected by springs, which allow for the transfer of energy between the masses. The motion of the system is determined by the masses, their positions, and the stiffness of the connecting springs.

What is the resonant frequency of a multiple mass-spring system?

The resonant frequency of a multiple mass-spring system is the frequency at which the system will vibrate with the largest amplitude when excited by a periodic external force. It is also known as the natural frequency of the system.

How is the resonant frequency of a multiple mass-spring system derived?

The resonant frequency of a multiple mass-spring system can be derived using the equations of motion for each mass and the boundary conditions at the connections between the masses. This results in a system of equations that can be solved to find the resonant frequency.

What factors affect the resonant frequency of a multiple mass-spring system?

The resonant frequency of a multiple mass-spring system is affected by the masses of the individual masses, the stiffness of the springs, and the way the masses are connected. Additionally, any external forces or damping present in the system can also affect the resonant frequency.

Why is the resonant frequency of a multiple mass-spring system important?

The resonant frequency of a multiple mass-spring system is important because it can help predict the behavior of the system when subjected to external forces or disturbances. It is also a key factor in designing and optimizing structures and devices that utilize multiple mass-spring systems, such as musical instruments and suspension systems.