Concentric cylinders E field

In summary, the book states that the E field between the inner cylinder and the inner wall of the outer cylinder is 108 N/m^2. The E field outside the outer cylinder is 158 N/m^2.
bodensee9
Hello:

Can someone help?

I have 2 concentric cylinders which are both conductors. The inner conductor has linear charge density of 6 n C/m. The outer conductor has no net charge. The inner conductor has R of 0.015m, the distance between the inner conductor and the inner wall of the outer conductor is 0.03m, and the outer conductor has a radius of 0.065 m. I am to find the E field at all Rs.

So within the inner conductor, the R = 0.
outside the inner conductor but before you reach the inner wall of the outer conductor, the R is E*2*pi*R*L = 6e-9 * L/epsilon. So you simply that and you get 108/epsilon.
IN between the inner and outer wall of the outer conductor the E field is again 0.

But what about the E field outside the outer conductor? I know that it has to do with the ratio of the density, but I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I get the wrong answer when I say that the outer density is proportional to the radius ( = 6 * 0.065/0.015)? Any help would be great. THank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question does not appear to be properly stated. The inner cylindrical conductor has a non-zero radius, so one would expect a surface charge density, but instead you gave a linear charge density with units C/m. Is this problem part of a larger question or is it standalone?

Hi,

This is the question as is given in the book. But couldn't I derive the surface density from the linear density by the following: sigma*2*pi*R = linear charge density? Where sigma is surface charge density and R is the radius of the cylinder. This is the problem. My problem is I don't see why the outside cynlinder should have an E field that is 1.46 times that of the inner E field?

The problem with this is that it is stated at the outset that the inner cylinder is a conductor, which means we would expect the charge to be uniformly distributed over the cylindrical surface. Hence I expected a surface charge density. But instead the linear charge density is given. I don't know how to interpret this.

Secondly, assuming your interpretation of this is correct, I don't see what you mean. What does "1.46 times of the inner E-field" mean? It's clear, since the outer cylinder is uncharged and hence does not affect the E-field of the configuration that the E field outside is 6n/(2pi*epsilon*r). It's the same in the empty space between the two conductors, only that the r value is different. So what does "1.46 times" refer to?

That is what I would expect too. But the answer in the book is that the E field between the inner cynlinder and the inner wall of the outer cynlinder is exactly as you provided, which is 108 N/m^2. But then the answer they give for the E field outside the outer cylinder is for some strange reason 158 N/m^2?

Thanks.

What is the concept of concentric cylinders in an electric field?

The concept of concentric cylinders in an electric field is a method used to study the electric potential and electric field between two concentric cylindrical conductors. The outer cylinder is typically held at a fixed potential, while the inner cylinder is grounded. This setup allows for the calculation of the electric field and potential at various points between the two cylinders.

How do you calculate the electric field between two concentric cylinders?

The electric field between two concentric cylinders can be calculated using the formula E = V/R, where E is the electric field, V is the potential difference between the two cylinders, and R is the distance between the cylinders. This formula assumes that the cylinders are infinitely long and have a uniform charge distribution.

What is the significance of the electric field between two concentric cylinders?

The electric field between two concentric cylinders can be used to study the behavior of charges in an electric field. It can also be used to calculate the capacitance per unit length of the cylinders, which is important in the design of certain electronic components such as coaxial cables.

Can the electric field between two concentric cylinders be zero?

Yes, the electric field between two concentric cylinders can be zero if the potential difference between the cylinders is also zero. This means that the cylinders are at the same potential and there is no net flow of charges between them. This is known as an equipotential surface.

How does the electric field between two concentric cylinders change with distance?

The electric field between two concentric cylinders follows an inverse relationship with distance, meaning that as the distance between the cylinders increases, the electric field decreases. This relationship can be described by the formula E = k/R, where k is a constant and R is the distance between the cylinders.