Exploring Eccentric Torsion: Calculating Maximum Shear Stress in a Cylinder

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the maximum shear stress for an eccentric torsion at a cylinder. The original question was not clear, prompting a request for clarification. The suggestion is to replace the eccentric moment with a force and moment at the axis of the shaft, and further clarification is requested on how to obtain this force. A picture is attached for better understanding.
Su Solberg
Hello everyone,
How can I caculate the maximum shear stress for an eccentric torsion at a cylinder?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Su.
It might just be due to my lack of formal education, but your question makes no sense to me. Can you be more specific as to what you want to know?

how about replacing the eccentric moment with a force & moment at the axis of shaft.

Thanks for your replies

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, Su.
It might just be due to my lack of formal education, but your question makes no sense to me. Can you be more specific as to what you want to know?

It's just because i am not an English speaker, lol.

I think present it in a picture will be more effective.
It is attached as attachment below.
ank_gl said:
how about replacing the eccentric moment with a force & moment at the axis of shaft.

can u describe more on how to get that "force"??

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• PNG.PNG
    PNG.PNG
    6 KB · Views: 454

What is eccentric torsion?

Eccentric torsion is a type of mechanical stress that occurs when a force is applied to an object at a distance from its axis of rotation.

How is eccentric torsion different from conventional torsion?

In conventional torsion, the force is applied directly at the axis of rotation. In eccentric torsion, the force is applied at a distance from the axis of rotation, causing an additional bending moment in addition to the torsional moment.

What factors affect eccentric torsion?

The factors that affect eccentric torsion include the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the distance between the force and the axis of rotation, and the properties of the material being stressed.

What are the applications of eccentric torsion in engineering?

Eccentric torsion is commonly encountered in engineering applications such as shafts, bolts, and gears. It is also important in the design of structures such as bridges and buildings.

How is eccentric torsion measured and calculated?

Eccentric torsion can be measured using strain gauges or other specialized equipment. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the applied force, distance from the axis of rotation, and material properties.