Gravitational binding energy of the sun?

In summary, the gravitational binding energy of the Sun can be approximated as -2.28 x 10^41 joules, and according to the virial theorem, is roughly twice the internal thermal energy of the star.
Researcher X
Could anyone give me a figure (in joules/kilo joules) for this?

Wikipedia says (on it's gravitational binding energy page) that the gravitational binding energy of a star is equal to about two times it's internal thermal energy.

I looked for "internal thermal energy" and could not find anything on it at all. I found figures for Earth's gravitational binding energy, but not for the sun.

There's a formula you can do to work it out, but my knowledge of maths is the layman's type, not the type with the "weird symbols" so I would have to have them explained to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Researcher X said:
Wikipedia says (on it's gravitational binding energy page) that the gravitational binding energy of a star is equal to about two times it's internal thermal energy.
The Wikipedia article in question is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_binding_energy

From the article, the formula for gravitational binding energy for a sphere of uniform density is

$$
U = - \frac{3 G M^2}{5 R}
$$

Note that the Sun, like any star, is not actually a sphere of uniform density, so this formula is not exact for the Sun (or indeed for any actual astronomical object, since none of them have uniform density). But it is a fairly good order of magnitude approximation. If we use the above formula for the Sun, we have ##G = 6.67 \times 10^{-11}##, ##M = 1.989 \times 10^{30}##, and ##R = 6.957 \times 10^8##, which gives ##U = - 2.28 \times 10^{41}## Joules.

The statement about gravitational binding energy being twice the internal thermal energy is a consequence of the virial theorem, and only applies to stars in hydrostatic equilibrium. The internal thermal energy is the kinetic energy, in the star's rest frame, of the particles in the star.

Likes Tutoroot

1. What is the gravitational binding energy of the sun?

The gravitational binding energy of the sun is the amount of energy required to completely disperse the sun's mass, overcoming the gravitational force that holds it together.

2. How is the gravitational binding energy of the sun calculated?

The gravitational binding energy of the sun is calculated using the formula E = (3/5) * (G * M^2)/R, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the sun, and R is the radius of the sun.

3. What role does the gravitational binding energy play in the sun's lifespan?

The gravitational binding energy is essential in maintaining the sun's stability and determines how long it can sustain its nuclear fusion reactions, which are responsible for the sun's energy output.

4. How does the gravitational binding energy of the sun compare to other stars?

The gravitational binding energy of the sun is relatively low compared to larger stars, as it has a moderate mass and radius. However, it is still strong enough to maintain the sun's structure and prevent it from collapsing under its own gravity.

5. Can the gravitational binding energy of the sun change over time?

Yes, the gravitational binding energy of the sun can change over time as the sun's mass and radius change. As the sun uses up its nuclear fuel, its mass decreases and its gravitational binding energy decreases accordingly. This can ultimately lead to the sun's death as it can no longer sustain its internal fusion reactions.